Power adder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tec548

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to do it. Can't get satisfactory answers regarding serious off road use with a Whipple. Not to sound derogatory but it seems that all I can find are mostly road use... so it's not for me.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to do it. Can't get satisfactory answers regarding serious off road use with a Whipple. Not to sound derogatory but it seems that all I can find are mostly road use... so it's not for me.

I, for one, am terribly disappointed at the lack of aftermarket support for the 6.2. It seems the only option we have is FI. There's very little to be had in heads and cams. And what there is costs a fortune. That Livernois 6.6 seems like it might be impressive, but 20k for a long block that I still have to install and custom tune is absurd. Plus, why not publish some dyno numbers on that kit? A complete, brand new LS3 w/ 430HP can be had for 7k, and another complete LS3 kit w/ 525HP for $10k. Maybe you should run an LS3? You can get a complete 525 HP LS3 with 4L70E trans for under 14k here: http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/19301360PAK/10002/-1

Reaction score
This might be a long one so hang in there. If I start over explaining and you know all this skip to the end.

I have a Roush not Whipple but maybe I could clear some things up. Firstly I off road quite a bit and...

Off-road mode absolutely works with a SC and tune.

I have tuned vehicles in the past using HP Tuners and I can hopefully shed some light on the “tune”. So basically what people talk about when tuning is the adjustment of the air to fuel ratio (AFR/fuel trim), spark timing advance, rev limiters, shift points (meaning-throttle position vs speed vs load), torque modulation and other aspects that aren’t important for this right now.

The off-road button does not turn this off. Or on. The only thing it affects with the above mentioned aspects of tuning are the shift points.

In fact I went up into the mountains today with the raptor and used off road mode. The truck didn't blow up because it all of the sudden changed the AFR back to stock parameters. I also put it into 4 HI and locked the rear. Again none of this changes the PCM command of the fuel trims or spark timing advance etc. which is extra important with the addition of forced induction.
In off-road mode and WOT my AFR dropped just like it should today.

You will not lose any of the off-road mode functions with the addition of the SC and corresponding tune. Conversely you will not lose any of the added performance of the SC and tune when you go into off-road mode.

If you are looking to tune the off road mode functions another member posted that HP Tuners has just recently decoded this part in the programming so that is available now too. Which means you could change the shift points in off-road mode to what you want etc. This btw is a huge game changer and I can't wait to adjust mine for off-road mode. I believe that is what the other member was referring to about off-road not being tuned.

I hope this clears this up for the OP and others. Long winded I know but I just wanted to be clear on what was what and why it mattered.

I say definitely get a SC and you will have an off road monster on your hands. I absolutely love mine. I love it even more off roading it.

Using off road mode does affect many of the trucks electronic controls. I won't go into the full suite but systems optimized are: TCS, RSC (very important to airbag function), ESC, ABS, electronic diff and trans shift points both up and down. I will definitely look into this further but losing this function is not worth the upgrade to me. I'll have to call and speck with Whipple tuning gurus and get the full story here.

Please anyone with more experience off road with the Whipple tune please give your thoughts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tec548

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your input. This is the first complete answer to my question. Gives me more to think about again.

I know how tuning works... or supposed to work. I was wanting to know if there were any strange interactions (shift patterns, rev limits, etc... specifically with off road mode) and I think you have answered that question for me.

Thanks again brother!

This might be a long one so hang in there. If I start over explaining and you know all this skip to the end.

I have a Roush not Whipple but maybe I could clear some things up. Firstly I off road quite a bit and...

Off-road mode absolutely works with a SC and tune.

I have tuned vehicles in the past using HP Tuners and I can hopefully shed some light on the “tune”. So basically what people talk about when tuning is the adjustment of the air to fuel ratio (AFR/fuel trim), spark timing advance, rev limiters, shift points (meaning-throttle position vs speed vs load), torque modulation and other aspects that aren’t important for this right now.

The off-road button does not turn this off. Or on. The only thing it affects with the above mentioned aspects of tuning are the shift points.

In fact I went up into the mountains today with the raptor and used off road mode. The truck didn't blow up because it all of the sudden changed the AFR back to stock parameters. I also put it into 4 HI and locked the rear. Again none of this changes the PCM command of the fuel trims or spark timing advance etc. which is extra important with the addition of forced induction.
In off-road mode and WOT my AFR dropped just like it should today.

You will not lose any of the off-road mode functions with the addition of the SC and corresponding tune. Conversely you will not lose any of the added performance of the SC and tune when you go into off-road mode.

If you are looking to tune the off road mode functions another member posted that HP Tuners has just recently decoded this part in the programming so that is available now too. Which means you could change the shift points in off-road mode to what you want etc. This btw is a huge game changer and I can't wait to adjust mine for off-road mode. I believe that is what the other member was referring to about off-road not being tuned.

I hope this clears this up for the OP and others. Long winded I know but I just wanted to be clear on what was what and why it mattered.

I say definitely get a SC and you will have an off road monster on your hands. I absolutely love mine. I love it even more off roading it.

Reaction score
No problem glad to help. Like I said I highly recommend getting a SC. Especially for the added torque with the 37's. I am thinking of even getting a size bigger to help with more clearance. Utah has plenty of dunes but it's known for the rock crawling in Moab and mountain passes. Ground clearance is key here.

Thank you for your input. This is the first complete answer to my question. Gives me more to think about again.

I know how tuning works... or supposed to work. I was wanting to know if there were any strange interactions (shift patterns, rev limits, etc... specifically with off road mode) and I think you have answered that question for me.

Thanks again brother!