Power adder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm actually considering this but I have recently been thinking about FI on my 6.2.

Here is my situation: money is not going to be the issue, drivability off road is. My truck is used 80% off road. Mostly west Texas and other desert locations but occasionally go other places. Usually pulled out so don't have to worry about being broken down. I want more power but not more problems. I don't want a high power stop light dragster, I want more reliable out of the hole power. I'm worried about heat and dust mostly, but a bit about Trans and engine wear too. I have many mods but what would be staying is the full suspension, 37's, headers and exhaust.

Because this is off road use mostly and really want more instant power i'm not really considering turbo. What would be the best choice, Whipple, Roush or PRO Charger? I'm leaning Whipple but I can be convinced to go another direction - that's why I'm asking. Also what stage would be best... remembering it's off road and I don't want huge issues or drivability problems.

Looking forward to hearing your response, especially from anyone that uses their Raptor the same way...

Joel

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the most instant power supercharger would win.

For the most easily adjustable power the procharger p-1x.

It depends on the fuel economy you'd want and how often you'd need that full power from a supercharger.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whipple is your best choice. Especially the Stage 2 Gen 3.
And you say money no object, then a **** kit will be your answer to high heat locations.

But have thought about doing gears? Look into it, quite a few go with gears to compensate the 37"s

Last edited:
OP
OP
tec548

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whipple is your best choice. Especially the Stage 2 Gen 3.
And you say money no object, then a **** kit will be your answer to high heat locations.

But have thought about doing gears? Look into it, quite a few go with gears to compensate the 37"s

This is the direction I'm leaning towards. What I would really be interested to know is the characteristics of the system off road. How solid is the tuning and are there any odd throttle, power setting, off road mode interactions that are not desireable? I have gears just haven't installed them yet. I am still not sure if I will or not.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The thing about the Tunes for either Supercharger (Whipple or Roush).
Off-road mode is NOT Tuned, so you don't used at all.
What guys have been doing is getting the rear locker adapter to keep the rear gears locked.
So when you pull the switch to lock the rear in normal and performance mode, it will not kick out when you go above 25 mph.
2W and 4x4 modes are fine the tune does not affect that system.
I'll post the threads when I find it.

1) http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/...p-fitter-switch-37543/index2.html#post1064078
2)

Last edited:
OP
OP
tec548

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use off road mode extensively. Not tuning off road mode is probably a deal killer. Along with many of the desired shifting profiles the numbing of the airbag sensors is a have to have for high speed off road running, not good news for me.

Joel

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You would have to read more through the forum, but plenty of SC doing heavy off-roading without using off-road mode.
Air bags didn't even come up in any conversations.
Not even sure OR actually does numb Air Bags, I was never able to confirm that.
You can hit the TC one or select performance mode on your 4.3 screen depending what year yours is.
This will increase yaw rate sensor and change shifting patterns.
You will diffidently have to relearn how to drive a SC Raptor, took me about month and then a few weeks when the snow came.
You have so much more HP and Torque you don't need to ride the upper RPM range, so your shifting is going to be easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tec548

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using off road mode does affect many of the trucks electronic controls. I won't go into the full suite but systems optimized are: TCS, RSC (very important to airbag function), ESC, ABS, electronic diff and trans shift points both up and down. I will definitely look into this further but losing this function is not worth the upgrade to me. I'll have to call and speck with Whipple tuning gurus and get the full story here.

Please anyone with more experience off road with the Whipple tune please give your thoughts.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know all about the nannies, I was just stating the air bags being dumb down is questionable.
Things do change and I haven't spoken to Whipple about the off-road strategy being added to their Tune in a couple of years.
So yes give them a call.