pinging on running a tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering... i have a svt 91 tune and during the hotter months we have now i hear pinging pretty often during light throttle after a shift up when there is light load on the motor. It goes away when it down shifts. Is this odd or something to worry about?

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The truck shouldn't ping unless you have really bad fuel quality and or the knock sensors are disabled or the sensitivity is lowered. These trucks come factory with a knock sensor system that is pretty effective and if it pings in that area the truck should start to pull timing to prevent it. This will affect your power as well.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the reason i am skeptical about running my 93 tune, there is no where around to get any higher octane.

marilynsride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you mean svc tune? i have a svc tune set for 91 and have had it in some pretty hot weather, texas, arizona etc. the only time it pinged (and it was only once) was right after it was first installed and it was learning my driving habits (just like the stock it is a reactive tune and it takes a few miles to dial it in). i have had no pinging since. i have gone back and forth between the stock tune (when im taking it to the dealer) and the svc tune. can never wait to get it back to the svc tune

OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes scv tune sorry. It only did it when pull my away from a light. Shifts in to second and I add a bit of throttle but not enough to make it downshift. If I added more throttle the pinging got worse. It's like when you have a standard trans car and it's in too high a gear.

marilynsride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes thats how mine did it but it was right after the tune was loaded for the first time and i had driven 1/4 mile and my phone rang so i stopped to take the call. when i restarted and took off it did it, but it was only that once and i attributed it to the fact i didnt put enough miles on it before shutting it off. it doesnt sound like this is the case for you though, definitely give the guys at svc a call, they are very responsive and easy to talk to and way more knowledgeable on the subject than i am

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the reason i am skeptical about running my 93 tune, there is no where around to get any higher octane.

Which Tune? SVC or 5 Star

Anyway, the higher octane Tune just adds a little more spark advance, basically, as far as SVC Tunes go.
5 Star 93 performance has harder shifting unless you ask for the street/daily shifting option.

Last edited:

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Which Tune? SVC or 5 Star

Anyway, the higher octane Tune just adds a little more spark advance, basically, as far as SVC Tunes go.
5 Star 93 performance has harder shifting unless you ask for the street/daily shifting option.

I have the 5star. im just worried about getting a knock or ping, in case i get some bad gas or something