Oil Pump gear necessary for supercharger install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/i-know-2nd-time-i-said-but-getting-sc-now-58325/index4.html

Read this thread IMO. Degrades into insults towards the end but you get some insight into why some do the upgrade.
Maybe start on page 3 but page 4 is where Jim at JDM comments.

yea thats my thread and some guys just can't get over the fact I will not follow them around and add a oil pump gear.

I was not convinced wheel hop will cause oil pump gears to go out so I looked into off this page cuz I notice a lot of sheep here not real trial and error. my mechanic is very good at building big monster drag cars all mustangs and he's in the loop.
he told me the oil pump gear goes out from bouncing off the limiter. so I searched the hell out of that. he was right but I could only find it in mustangs. prob cuz they are the only ones really driving and building them crazy for the most part.
I asked him if the gear goes out the dummy lights will tell me the sound will tell me and the noise will tell me correct. he said yes if that happens just stop dont drive more just stop. now saying that I seen the latest motor failed thread and the guy drove miles with zero oil pressure not sure why not my business but I will just stop.

I still do not have oil gears and will not put them in until they blow up. now if I had the skill like the OP I prob would. not 100% sure but probably would. but paying 400 for gears and 1000 or more to install just incase didn't seem worth it to me.

I do wish the end of that thread wouldn't have gone silly but it was so much fun watch that guy post long thought out posts I liked consuming his mind it was funny BUT ruined the good info in there. NO one was mentioning rev limiter until I figured that out now we will prob see it in every thread as gospil lol. still no clue if thats a reason it just made sense. good luck either way.

I can say Whipple does not have a good store bought tune for the gen 3 stage 2 set up. I am close enough to their shop I am driving there to dyno tune it on the 31st of this month but if not I would just grab JDM tune and be done.
I will still try JDM tune later Im sure, I am one of the weird types that has to know for myself.

LoganR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t buy into the hype of the OPG’s... hundreds of Lightning’s running more power than 99% of the trucks here without them, without issue. Yes, the issue is well documented in other vehicles, and is nearly mutually exclusive to them. No 2 step, no banging off the limiter, and no one here is running a drag truck that needs to pedal it down the track. Don’t drive it like an *******, and you’ll be fine.

For those wondering: Those keeping your foot in it during wheel hop fit the last description. If you’re still experiencing wheel hop and are worried about OPG’s, you’re already doing it wrong.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do wish the end of that thread wouldn't have gone silly but it was so much fun watch that guy post long thought out posts I liked consuming his mind it was funny BUT ruined the good info in there.

Good to know you're still thinking about me, princess.:mwah1:

OP
OP
bsimms89

bsimms89

Reaction score
I wound up installing the oil pump gear when I installed my whipple, I don’t have a roush, just installed a whipple and kooks, I’m just running the same oil it originally called for