New Whipple Supercharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsoren10

Reaction score
Hi I'm planning on making the upgrade to a Whipple supercharger soon. Got a few questions for everyone before I make the decision.

I've read some bad things about the tune that comes from Whipple and some great things about the JDM tune and kit. Are there other tunes that work better or is the consensus to go with the JDM tune?

Also have read some threads about issues with the stock idler pulley being weak and wreaking havoc on supercharged trucks. Is a replacement included in the Whipple kits or should I plan to replace this with an after market pulley?

Are there any other upgrades or additional parts people would recommend to install at the same time to prevent issues like the idler pulley or other weaknesses in the stock design?

My hope is to install a catback and possibly headers at some point in the future but probably won't do those right away.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's nothing bad about Whipple's Tune, both the Ford/Whipple and SCT Whipple Tunes are a little conservative and you won't have to worry about them harming the engine.
Now of course plenty will say screw that and want more, so going to third party Tunes is the only way to get the few extra horses.
Hopefully newer Tunes will continue to come out with more HP.

And if your considering the Supplemental Powertrain warranty from Whipple, the Ford/Whipple Tune is the only one you can use.
Just like the Roush's Tune the Ford/Whipple Tune will have the speed limited to 100mph.

Dyno Tune by a good speed shop is the best way to go, canned Tunes from speed shops have been a hit and miss with some folks,
and usually wind up with data logging just to get things the way you want them.

As far as the Tensioner, there where a few early 2010 1/2 to early 2012 Raptors that needed to replace the Ford OEM Tensioner to the newer version,
including me. All newer 6.2L have the updated Tensioner.

What ever you do, DO NOT GET "THE THUMPER" from Thumper Racing!!!!! with a SC 6.2L.
Been down that road, $2,500 and two alternators later in 500 miles. I went back to stock OEM newer version tensioner.
Haven't heard any issues with a NA 6.2L and the Thumper.

Getting the HD HE with dual fans would be cheaper at time of Whipple purchase. It's about a $300 difference.
Oil pump gear set upgrade is something to consider, especially if you want to go big with the HP.
I did it on mine and I'm all stock exhaust and Whipple Tunes. I recommend doing it to all who ask!

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really hate even mentioning these guys, bad, very bad customer service.
Wouldn't help me resolve the issue of destroying two alternators. Wouldn't even talk to the SVT Tech at the Ford Dealer.
I even offered to drive over to them to figure out the correct spring tension to stop it from egging out the back of the alternators.
They said they point blank they sold thousands of them for Supercharged Raptors,
even when I told them I was the forth one (pre ordered in Oct 2011) to get a kit out of the 170 kits sold at the time. (Summer of 2012)
And Roush was now in the game, it would be to there benefit to correct this situation.

They also would not take it back, no partial refund for having 500 miles on it, nothing.

Keep in mind that the compressor has to come off when the alternator needs to be changed.
So if your considering lights, Amps, etc. upgrade the alternator when adding the Whipple!

I did sell it to another member who was not running a Supercharger and haven't heard anything from him, so I guess it's ok for a NA Raptor.

Thump RRR Racing Billet Aluminum Belt Tensioners New Jersey, NJ

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dsoren10

Reaction score
MTF do you notice much difference with the HD HE for the Whipple kit? I'm in Colorado and was told it wouldn't do much for me since it doesn't get real hot except for 2 months in the summer where it will hit the upper 90s.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It depends, if you're always moving (40 mph +) then air will pass through some what, but if you do a lot of in town driving and hitting lights then you will take a hit in HP.
I say some what because I have notice that even with the HD HE fans on it's hard for the air to push through the condenser and radiator.
The hot air mostly just bounces off, coming out the sides between the HE and condenser/radiator.
Having the radiator fans jump on sooner and at a higher running value setting, works very well in producing lower IATs.

I have the relay for the fans hooked up to the forth uplilfer switch and turn them off during the nasty winter months and starting up in the morning.
I do turn them on even when it's 30 or lower outside when sitting in traffic or riding around hard.
Our trucks run hot to begin with, and it doesn't take long for the intercooler coolant to get hot.
And at 50 to 60 degrees and anything above out, my fans stay on all the time after the first start in the morning.

So my answer will be yes, I did notice a substantial gain in the summer months and a even bigger smile when it's cold out.
It is worth the money, IMHO

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dsoren10

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the JDM and the Whipple tune?

I'm really not looking to do anything crazy power wise beyond the supercharger. Just looking for a good daily driving tune with good shift programming and power. The one thing Ford could've done much better with, in my opinion, is the stock shift programming!

Cj428

Reaction score
I have the JDM tune and am very pleased with it. great power and drivability trans shifts very well also. Jim is very talented at what he does. he will be doing my 15 Mustang as soon as the blower comes in.

Last edited:

metronyc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have JDM tune with 3.250 pulley and the truck is just awesome , smooth shifting . Jim tuned my truck on the dyno and we have 545 HP with engine safe tune and emission legal .

mike.s

Reaction score
545 on the dyno?! Damn! I used to have JDM's tune for my Whipple as well and was very happy with it. That was before I got my headers. Now I have a different tune.