New Melling Performance Oil Pump Coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My intention is not to say one is going to be better than the when it comes to oil pump gears.
You could TSS and see what their Tensile strength is.
The tensile strength varies from 85,000 psi. to 185,000 psi. depending on what series of Chrome-Moly.

I'm sure the Melling system will be just fine, if not better. Sure reads better on the website.

Just wanted to point out.
I and member Biggest were the first guinea pigs to try the proven TSS gears running in Mustangs.
Biggest has put the gears to the test with maxium HP at over 1000 RWHP on race gas.
So the TSS gears are real life tested and proven, with over a thousand being sold last I spoke with them 4 years ago.
My conversations with them and engineers at L & M engine builders when I did my research is that, it's not your standard Chrome-Moly.
And is specially forged so that the finished gear rings have what there looking for.

So, what would you do, if you were making the choice now?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a tough call since I didn't research Melling.
I think we should first see if they even start production.
These gears are not cheap to make, and not a high profit item if they want sell at TSS price.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe you can datalog if you have a handheld tuner. That might be able to show the peak pressures as well as any random pressure drops or fluctuations while going through the RPM range. Either way, thanks for checking.

Happy to help just give me a few days. I don't want to drag my truck out into the salty mess the roads are currently in. I power washed the undercarriage after my last ski trip and I want to keep it clean!

I have the SCT that came with my Whipple. Can it be used to data log?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a tough call since I didn't research Melling.
I think we should first see if they even start production.
These gears are not cheap to make, and not a high profit item if they want sell at TSS price.

Well, they're available to purchase at Summit - $540. They must have started production, no?

OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@MTF. The Melling pumps can be ordered through Summit. I believe the drop ship timeframe from Melling was stated as about a week. I believe the pumps are already in production.
@Truckzor Yes, the SCT should allow you to log. You can export the results to their desktop app.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry I answered on my phone and just the quote, I'm now on the computer.

Vash, that's great that you got the ball rolling on this product.

If the Melling and the TSS was available at the time I needed it and the hand full of people that I trust with recommendations said either one is good,
I would have gone with who ever could get the gears to me the fastest.
I don't know if I would have gone for the pump housing, since I had such low miles on the engine.

I don't see the high pressure pump on Summit for the 6.2L, only the 10340BR for the 4.6L and 5.4L

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Truckzor, remember the Raptor does not have a oil pressure sending unit, only a low pressure sending sensor, it's either on or off.

You installed the oil pressure adaptor sending unit between the pump and the oil filter, if memory serves my correctly.

There isn't even PID code for oil pressure to add to a scanner for Fords. :-(

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Truckzor, remember the Raptor does not have a oil pressure sending unit only a low pressure sending sensor, it's either on or off.

You installed the oil pressure adaptor sending unit between the pump and the oil filter, if memory serves my correctly.

There isn't even PID code for oil pressure to add to a scanner for Fords. :-(

I'm glad you chimed in. Saves me the trouble of trying to learn how to data log. :ROFLJest:

Yes, correct, I have a pressure sensor in a collar between the block and filter.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, so our truck's oil pressure gauge will not vary with the actual pressure? Only shows mid range if pressure is present??

R,
HAP

@Truckzor, remember the Raptor does not have a oil pressure sending unit, only a low pressure sending sensor, it's either on or off.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use a Actron Scanner to data log and send that to our Tuner.
That is if he doesn't have the time to write a config file to load on the SCT LiveLink Software for a PC

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Wait, so our truck's oil pressure gauge will not vary with the actual pressure? Only shows mid range if pressure is present??

R,
HAP

That is correct