New Melling Performance Oil Pump Coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My intention is not to say one is going to be better than the when it comes to oil pump gears.
You could TSS and see what their Tensile strength is.
The tensile strength varies from 85,000 psi. to 185,000 psi. depending on what series of Chrome-Moly.

I'm sure the Melling system will be just fine, if not better. Sure reads better on the website.

Just wanted to point out.
I and member Biggest were the first guinea pigs to try the proven TSS gears running in Mustangs.
Biggest has put the gears to the test with maxium HP at over 1000 RWHP on race gas.
So the TSS gears are real life tested and proven, with over a thousand being sold last I spoke with them 4 years ago.
My conversations with them and engineers at L & M engine builders when I did my research is that, it's not your standard Chrome-Moly.
And is specially forged so that the finished gear rings have what there looking for.

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is pretty perfect timing. My oil gears are on my short list in the very near future.
You guys obviously know more than I do on this subject, so I'm hoping to get a definitive suggestion from this thread soon!

OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@MTF. I recall there being a build long back on SVTP forums regarding a carbureted Ford 6.2L swapped into a Fox Body Mustang. Melling does a lot of custom machining and manufacturing as well. I believe they did the EDM cut and machined gears for that build if I remember correctly. Obviously, that’s a sample of one, but I’m sure they’ve build parts etc. for similar builds if that’s part of their business.

I also want to clarify that I in no way intended to say the TSS is any worse. They are proven by all the Raptor owners that have used them especially with it being the only option at the time. I’m just glad there’s an alternate supplier in the space. I’d guess TSS is significantly smaller than Melling, so they are probably more picky about when and if they do production runs of a given product based on overall production capacity. There’s still stock if TSS gears at various vendors, but it’s good to have a backup.

Also, I’m honestly just googling most of the stuff so I’m definitely not authoritative on this topic.

Regardless, I’m just glad we have options. There were claims going back and forth regarding whether TSS would continue to product their gears. I’ve also seen varying advice on whether it’s best to replace only the gears or the gears and housing. If I’m replacing pump and gears, it’s nice to have an option that packages high performance versions of both. I know Livernois has a similar package, but don’t they just resell you a Ford OEM Pump with TSS gears preinstalled?

I’m honestly more impressed about the housing than the gears. If this unit didn’t have billet gears, I would’ve gladly still purchased it and added the TSS gears. Since Melling includes better gears, it’s less mandatory for those that care about gear failure.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I only purchased the gears, my motor only had 9,000 miles, no need for a new housing.

Also the gears are the pump, and the pump gear housing is just the housing.
The only way to increase pressure would be by cutting the gears differently.

I think you may be a little confused.

OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You’re right. I should have stated housing and not pump in my last statement. Still, I’d rather have the better housing if I’m having the work done anyway.

Regarding pressure, I’m fairly certain that the shape/size of the gears primarily effects volume. The pressure is managed by what bypass spring is used. The OEM has a single spring option. The Melling unit has a removeable plug that allows spring changes. Plus, potentially a stronger backing plate if the OEM vs aftermarket comparisons are similar to that of the 5.4L.

The oil pump does not build any pressure on its own. It’s a matter of restrictions to oil flow within the engine. The only thing the pump can do is create more flow based on how fast it is spun. The increased flow increases pressure based on RPM up to the relief pressure managed by the pump bypass spring.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@MTF @Truckzor
I eventually plan to supercharge my Raptor. I know one of the recommended supporting mods is billet oil pump gears to replace the weak sintered metal OEM gears. It appears that Melling just released a new High Pressure and Standard Volume oil pump compatible with the Ford 6.2L V8 in the Raptor. The part number is 10397-BR and it should be hitting resellers soon. Based on emails exchanged with Melling product reps, it sounds like this is the perfect oil pump package for boosted 6.2L engines. It comes configured with a bypass spring set to 95 PSI, but includes an alternate spring that drops the bypass pressure down to 85 PSI if desired. Bypass springs are changeable via a hex keyed plug in the pump.

Details:
Melling high performance oil pumps provide dependable performance every time in every application under the toughest RPM conditions. Melling high performance billet rotor oil pumps are standard volume, high pressure oil pumps which feature 130,000 TSI billet steel rotors, a hard coat anodized aluminum body and cast iron phosphate coated cover for improved pump performance and durability. The oil pumps pressure is adjustable by using the optional pressure springs. The oil pump screen mounting seal is included. Every Melling high performance oil pump is individually tested for pressure and flow under actual engine operating conditions. Melling high performance billet rotor oil pumps are recommended for all applications where a high performance oil pump is needed.

UPDATE: @Dane @engine45 Pricing is $540. The product is currently available via Summit Racing and would be drop shipped from Melling. You’ll have to call for now as this isn’t showing up in their online inventory system. Speak to a sales rep.

Ok... well crap. I feel too uneducated to make an educated decision. The price point isn't a turnoff since it's in the realm of the others (little more).

Someone convince me to go one direction or the other!

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok... well crap. I feel too uneducated to make an educated decision. The price point isn't a turnoff since it's in the realm of the others (little more).

Someone convince me to go one direction or the other!

Looks like I'm late to this party.

I guess the risk is that this new pump produces too much pressure damaging the engine seals. But Melling is a good name, been in business for a long time. I wouldn't hesitate to try them if I was in the market. Would seem that the max oil pressure an engine can handle would be an awfully basic thing for an oil pump manufacturing company to know.

One thing I might be able to help with, if you guys give me a few days, is to get my truck out on the road and tell you what it's making in terms of higher RPM oil pressure. I do think it's north (possibly well north) of 65 but I mostly watch that gauge at lower RPMs only. I tend to stay focused on the road only when I'm getting into the throttle, for obvious reasons.

OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been in communication with the VP of North American Aftermarket Sales and the Technical Services Manager at Melling. They’ve been very responsive thus far and actually reached out to Summit Racing on my behalf to expedite adding the part number to their sales inventory. I just sent a note asking about OEM pump pressure and why someone would opt to use the 85 psi relief spring vs the 95 psi. I’ll report back once I get a reply.
@Truckzor Maybe you can datalog if you have a handheld tuner. That might be able to show the peak pressures as well as any random pressure drops or fluctuations while going through the RPM range. Either way, thanks for checking.

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like I'm late to this party.

I guess the risk is that this new pump produces too much pressure damaging the engine seals. But Melling is a good name, been in business for a long time. I wouldn't hesitate to try them if I was in the market. Would seem that the max oil pressure an engine can handle would be an awfully basic thing for an oil pump manufacturing company to know.

One thing I might be able to help with, if you guys give me a few days, is to get my truck out on the road and tell you what it's making in terms of higher RPM oil pressure. I do think it's north (possibly well north) of 65 but I mostly watch that gauge at lower RPMs only. I tend to stay focused on the road only when I'm getting into the throttle, for obvious reasons.

Officer: Tell why you were speeding again?

@Truckzor: Science.

Go do it. I get my bonus tomorrow.

OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Dane @Truckzor
Here’s the response from a Technical Services Manager and Master Automotive Technician at Melling:

“The 10397-BR has a 95 PSI bypass spring installed, we include a red spring in the box with the pump that will decrease the bypass pressure by 10 PSI.

The 80 PSI spring is more in line with the spring in the stock pump, superchargers tend to like the higher pressures, so I think I would stick with the higher pressure spring that comes installed in the pump.“