New Melling Performance Oil Pump Coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@MTF @Truckzor
I eventually plan to supercharge my Raptor. I know one of the recommended supporting mods is billet oil pump gears to replace the weak sintered metal OEM gears. It appears that Melling just released a new High Pressure and Standard Volume oil pump compatible with the Ford 6.2L V8 in the Raptor. The part number is 10397-BR and it should be hitting resellers soon. Based on emails exchanged with Melling product reps, it sounds like this is the perfect oil pump package for boosted 6.2L engines. It comes configured with a bypass spring set to 95 PSI, but includes an alternate spring that drops the bypass pressure down to 85 PSI if desired. Bypass springs are changeable via a hex keyed plug in the pump.

Details:
Melling high performance oil pumps provide dependable performance every time in every application under the toughest RPM conditions. Melling high performance billet rotor oil pumps are standard volume, high pressure oil pumps which feature 130,000 TSI billet steel rotors, a hard coat anodized aluminum body and cast iron phosphate coated cover for improved pump performance and durability. The oil pumps pressure is adjustable by using the optional pressure springs. The oil pump screen mounting seal is included. Every Melling high performance oil pump is individually tested for pressure and flow under actual engine operating conditions. Melling high performance billet rotor oil pumps are recommended for all applications where a high performance oil pump is needed.

UPDATE: @Dane @engine45 Pricing is $540. The product is currently available via Summit Racing and would be drop shipped from Melling. You’ll have to call for now as this isn’t showing up in their online inventory system. Speak to a sales rep.

E0B1DBFF-C17A-4C56-8659-5B8A59BAB30E.jpg

B1CA9A60-00B6-4CB1-930C-0F7B071D33A4.jpg

CE48D90A-DBC4-4494-B7AA-ADDF5C14CE9D.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m just glad there’s still enough demand for the 6.2L platform to still develop and release new upgraded part options. Depending on final street pricing, this may give Livernois and TSS a run for their money especially since this is the first option that actually improves the pump and not just the gears.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just FYI, there is only one manufacture of the upgraded oil gear set for our 6.2L and it's made by TSS.
Livernois just calls their stuff Powerstorm, it is a TSS
I purchased mine through Livernois because TSS had just sent the last of the gears they had to them
and it would be weeks before TSS made another batch.
The TSS gear set is not just Chromoly, there are other elements combine in the gears to make them more forgiving to shock loads.

I don't understand why you would want to lower the bypass valve pressure in the pump housing.
All that will happen is the oil won't run through the filter if it becomes that dirty and just return straight back into the engine.
Most race engine builders plug the bypass valve.
The bypass valve was added there for the few people who do not maintain the vehicles and if the filter becomes so clog up with dirt the filter could burst.

@Vash, are you going to try it if they put a kit together?
And thanks for the share, competition is always good!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@MTF I may pick up the pump/rotor combo from Melling, but it would probably sit on the parts shelf for a while. Looking at houses, so supercharging will probably have to be put on hold for a bit. Regarding the lower bypass pressure, I think Melling is just providing options. The default configuration is higher than stock pressure, so I’d imagine the lower pressure option is for those that effectively want more of a standard pressure and volume pump with more of an emphasis on the upgraded materials used in manufacturing the unit.

Additionally, I’m most definitely not a mechanic or engine builder, but initial searches might tend to slightly disagree with your logic. I think you might be confusing the oil filter bypass pressure with the pump bypass pressure?

My understanding of the oil pump bypass is that some oil is routed back to the inlet of the pump after the spring bypass pressure has been met. The pump still has to deliver the same volume regardless and I don’t see the oil cleanliness being much affected by simple more than one trip through the pump. I could be totally wrong though. This is based on my understanding that the pump is before the oil filter.

Additionally, wouldn’t a race engine still be engineered for a maximum oil pressure and volume. The oil pump does not build pressure. That’s fine based on restriction of flow. The oil pump bypass is only there to maintain a pressure limit. If you disable the bypass, I don’t see the benefit since most engines need about 10 PSI per 1,000 RPM. If the Melling unit can output 85-95 PSI I think either would be sufficient, but I’d likely leave that decision to whoever installed the pump and supercharger etc.

I’ve heard the OEM unit puts out around 50-65 PSI, but I haven’t been able to confirm. If so, even at 85 PSI you’re bypassing less oil than you are with the stock unit. Last, I would actually expect a filter gasket and/or case failure given enough unregulated system pressure. Either that or the pressure would be high enough at certain RPM that it wouldn’t go through the filter anyway based on the filters bypass valve.

I wanted to add that I HAVE seen certain posts regarding disabling oil filter bypasses. I have not yet seen the same regarding the actual oil pump bypass.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The bypass valve is just a safety, that's all it is. Both valve serve the same function basically.
And yes you are right the pump bypass valve will release the oil back into the low side/suction pathways in the pump.
I was being to general again. LOL

And I'm not sure what the psi are either.
With are engine having oil squirters and not knowing what is the optimal oil pressure for our engines is, I couldn't give you a real sound advise.
Hopefully Melling has done all the R & D
I would have liked to have had an option to choose when I did mine upgrade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Hockster @pirate air Happen to know the OEM oil pump bypass pressure for the 6.2L?

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

@MTF I was turned onto the Melling lineup after seeing multiple videos by FordTechMakuLoco on YouTube where he’s replaced many oil pumps on 5.4L engines with VVT issues due to low oil pressure or refreshing older engines with higher volume pumps. Indications seem to be that Melling is improved vs OEM regarding design and performance. Additionally, they test for strength and flow properties. I’ve never seen tensile strength ratings posted by TSS for their gears. They just say that their gears are CNC machined and heat treated for strength.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@engine45 I’ll update my post as soon as I see this hitting vendors. RockAuto has the part listed already, but no price since it’s not yet in stock.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Hockster @pirate air Happen to know the OEM oil pump bypass pressure for the 6.2L?

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

@MTF I was turned onto the Melling lineup after seeing multiple videos by FordTechMakuLoco on YouTube where he’s replaced many oil pumps on 5.4L engines with VVT issues due to low oil pressure or refreshing older engines with higher volume pumps. Indications seem to be that Melling is improved vs OEM regarding design and performance. Additionally, they test for strength and flow properties. I’ve never seen tensile strength ratings posted by TSS for their gears. They just say that their gears are CNC machined and heat treated for strength.

I do not have that info.