MPG drop with new cat-back exhaust install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BEAST MODE

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

In February I installed a Borla S-Type cat-back on my SCREW and my MPG dropped nearly 3 MPG on both city and highway. It's been over two months and the numbers haven't changed. Has anyone else had a similar experience? It sounds nicer than stock, but I wasn't anticipating that kind of drop in MPG. I'm almost to the point of putting the stock pipes back on.

I know a person shouldn't buy this kind of truck if one is worried about fuel economy, but every little bit helps!

- Craig

Last edited:

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your foot is probably on the loud pedal more.

Fwiw when I had the MBRP turndown mileage was about the same. Its since changed to another muffler, mileage is about the same.

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In most cases, its entirely your foot and how you drive because you have an "expectation" of the sound you want to hear while you're driving, which is more aggressive than you've driven pre-exhaust.

Be more conscious of your driving and you'll see it go back up.

KOBRA2848

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anything I think my gas mileage improved after the installation of my Corsa Extreme system. Not that I worry too much about gas mileage I have noticed that around town the gas mileage monitor sometimes shows 13mpg.

Mark

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford performance touring and gearhead tune gives me better than 600 miles of fun to a tank

IHAVETWO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got better mileage with mbrp my wife drives truck now.mileage sucks,she likes the noise.beats the shit out of it.

OP
OP
B

BEAST MODE

Reaction score
Update

I'm not quite sure what the actual problem was, but I ended up fixing the issue along the way somehow.

I went through the cat-back and checked for leaks (there were none). I took off the CAI, cleaned everything, and re-installed. I then reloaded the 5Star tune.

Now I'm getting around 13 (city) and 17 (hwy) which is decent considering I have the 87 Perf tune loaded.