Moroso Air/Oil Separator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Moroso catch can on my '14 scab while it was still on the dealer lot.
I changed some of the components of the kit using different hoses, connectors, O-rings, retaining screen and installed more of the mesh screen material and some other details were changed too.
My Raptor has 2000 miles on the clock and I performed it's first oil change today.
I also opened up the Moroso catch can to dump it out for the first time.
There was a significant amount of oil in it. I'm happy with the Moroso and it's ability to keep the oil out of the intake.

Here is a description of the kit and what I improvised on.

Moroso Air/Oil Catch Can Kit #85607 – small body (black anodize).
I had the stainless steel bracket powder coated (black) (compound TGIC Polyester) (JR Powder Coating) The Moroso bracket is made from series 409 stainless steel (crap stainless steel).
I buffed down all the edges on the bracket because it had sharp edges and corners everywhere. I used a Norton Bear Tex wheel for this process. Then I had it powder coated. ($40)
I fitted the Moroso catch can with XRP 90 deg aluminum fittings (black anodize) (size -8 AN) (it screws into the catch can with 3/8-18 NPT)
I used teflon tape on the NPT threads of the fittings and copper anti-seize grease on the straight thread for the hose fittings.
I fitted the Russell Performance hose with XRP straight barbed aluminum fittings (black anodized)(size -8 AN)
I used Russell Performance Twist-Lok hose (color is Blue). It’s a push-on hose with a CPE synthetic rubber liner (chlorinated polyethylene) with a reinforced fabric braid (size -8 AN/.500” I.D.)
(lengths 13.” and 20.”) (rated for 250 psi) (temp range -40 to +350 F). I ordered it from Summit Racing (10 ft. length)
I bought an extra pcv to induction hose with the fittings from FordParts.com and removed the hose from fittings with a heat gun.
I kept the original one from the Raptor just in case the Moroso leaks (I'm sure it won't though)
I used Norma Torro hose clamps (German Style) to secure the hose to the barbs (material is W4 which is a great 300 series SS)
Installed a Fluorocarbon (FKM) 75-durometer (black) o-ring (size -135) for the catch can. Installed a Viton Fluorocarbon o-ring for the Ford nipples.
I bought “Super Lube” a silicon o-ring grease to lube the o-rings with. (made for Fluorocarbon o-rings)
I purchased an extra Moroso mesh screen for the catch can (part #85472060/4ft.) thru Lethal Performance. I had to cut it in half and then roll it up with the ones in the catch can for each chamber.
I purchased 3/8 inch and 1/4 inch washers for the 1/4-20 bracket bolts and 10mm strut tower studs.
I purchased new Ford Nylock nuts for the tower bracket hold down studs, as per Ford service manual. Tighten new Nylock nuts down to 30 lb-ft.
I purchased the XRP fittings from TMR in Orange, California, 714-771-1348
I improvised the retainer plate for the mesh screen. It is cheap cast aluminum .030 thick. I made my own retaining plate made out of 6061-T6 that is .125 thick.

Seeing how much oil was trapped in this kit, I should have purchased the large Moroso catch can.
The Moroso captured 60 ml of oil (2.0 fl oz).

Attachments

• IMG_2332.jpg
    IMG_2332.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_2330.jpg
    IMG_2330.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2589.jpg
    IMG_2589.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2587.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
OP
OP
R1jamn

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few more pics

Attachments

• IMG_2264.jpg
    IMG_2264.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2265.jpg
    IMG_2265.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_2268.jpg
    IMG_2268.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2270.jpg
    IMG_2270.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2269.jpg
    IMG_2269.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 189

MS Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R1 - thanks for the great write up. I need this for my new truck. Maybe if I get to work on this now I will have it done before my truck gets here late Feb/early March. I am not that mechanical but willing to give it a best effort

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Where did you purchase the catch can? I googled it but only found 2 dealers I am not familiar with.

OP
OP
R1jamn

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^

Hey MS,
I purchased the Moroso kit from Lethal performance.
I highly recommend this kit for your new Raptor. Install it ASAP.
You don't neccesarily need to improvise the kit as I have.
I would let someone that is a wrench hand take care of the install for you though.
The reward of working on your own rig is great also. Just don't get in to deep and have an OH SHIT moment.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used the universal kits, did both sides, being I had them form a project I never completed, worked out for the better.

Attachments

• PCV front veiw.jpg
    PCV front veiw.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 187
  • PCV Passenger side.jpg
    PCV Passenger side.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 281
  • PCV Driver side.jpg
    PCV Driver side.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
OP
OP
R1jamn

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey J,
What amount of oil is your Moroso catching on the drivers side?
Some have stated that not much is going thru on the drivers side.
I will install one on the drivers side too if it needs it.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey J,
What amount of oil is your Moroso catching on the drivers side?
Some have stated that not much is going thru on the drivers side.
I will install one on the drivers side too if it needs it.[/quote]

Nothing on the drivers side, bone dry, I check them every 4-6 weeks, passenger side gets 2 oz at any giving time, like others have stated, unless your super charged you probably wont see it.

Last edited:

MS Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the Moroso kit from Amazon for $160.15 includes shipping if anyone else is interested in purchasing. I thought this was a good price.