Modifying my stock lower/AFE intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Sneek peek for now but I wanted to get this up here, it was an idea I had been kicking around for a while. I was out messing with it this morning to make sure it would work and all is good so far.......can you see it?:naughty:

IMG_1178.jpg
[/IMG]

This is just for stock lower box but I plan on modding my AFE lid as well, hope to have finished pics later this week.

Oh yeah....new flat textured powdercoat on the bumper and I mounted y amber dually's on the side:)

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that a little ram air tube I see on the upper left of the radiator???

Why did remove your AFE and return it to sock?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score

i see that too. i thought you meant to the left of the picture at first and i was like :rolleyes: the horns? lol

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i see that too. i thought you meant to the left of the picture at first and i was like :rolleyes: the horns? lol

lol guess I should of specified the-vehicles-upper left of the radiator.

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score

Lol, sure is. I found a plastic intake tube in the junk bin here at work that I was hoping to use but, it turns out it wouldn't mount up to the box good enough. That tube you see is just part of it, I have to finish it officialy when I get a break at work tonight, pretty simple really and I'm sure you guys will get a chuckle out of it......but it works. I have yet to install my AFE, I had just sat the lid in that one time to check the clearance.

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
The official SOCOMech backyard redneck ramair system is done.

You start with 2 vacuum attachments, one is the ol' fashion one and the other is meant for doing the carpet in your car.....it thins down and has an angle at the end. You measure the distance from the mountig spot to the box, cut the ends of both pieces and use a good adhesive (I used some hardcore stuff we have at work and just put a little bit of electrical tape to make sure) to join them together.
IMG_1180.jpg
[/IMG]

The actual opening is 2.25", it slims down (it needs to in order to fit and route correctly) but it's still 2.25" going in the box, just not as wide. If anything, it will just increase the velocity of the air going in. I even took my grinder and smoothed out the edges to allow for better flow:)
IMG_1183.jpg
[/IMG]

Next, after lining it up in the opening by the condenser, you mark off where it attaches to the airbox. As luck would have it, the opening of new skinny tube is a perfect match to the "blocks" in the box. Remember, the box actually sits off to the side from where this mounts, hence getting the attachments that angle. Straight air in, attachments carry it towards the air box and it's a straight shot in.
IMG_1184.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1185.jpg
[/IMG]

All that's left is to slide the new ramair tube in between the support and condenser/radiator and into the box. I cut the opening in the box so that it's a fairly tight fit around the tube.
IMG_1186.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1193.jpg
[/IMG]

Secure the new ramair however you want (although mine is pretty tight as is) and all done!
IMG_1190.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1191.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Now is that 2.25 in addition of the others or is that the only opening you have...

It's in addition to the stock snorkel, just a little extra something. I had noticed that the AFE filter takes up a good amount of space in the airbox and almost creates a, hesitant to say, barrier from the stock snorkel. I want to make use of the larger surface area of the larger filter and get more air moving around, so this little mod allows air to move in on the underside of the filter. The lid I want to make for the AFE is gonna sit a bit taller as well....if I were to just put something across the top now, it would practically touch part of the filter and make a small area for air to move around the top of it, so I want to lift that area and allow more air space.

There's also a few other things going on here too. One, that anyone can do, is to just remove the rubber flap that sits between the headlight and condensor, where I have the ram air. That will allow more air to flow behind the headlight and into the fender and snorkel. Another thing believe it or not is due to the ADD bumper....because the stock one is not there covering the area, it's now just a giant scoop up into the fender now.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about....
IMG_1197.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1194.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1196.jpg
[/IMG]

Now I know about water splashing around and working it's way up in there so, I don't know that this would be an option for everyone. But I live in AZ so I don't worry about that too much, lol. Are all of these things gonna give me 20hp, doubt it but, it's all just to help airflow to the filter which is always a good thing.