Mid-Mount Turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Topgunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by supply cold air if you aren't talking about the intercooler.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The piping needed to run all the way back to the IC is going to be a nightmare,
the air will be so hot the IC will be worthless.

OP
OP
T

Topgunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, pretty confused on that comment.

Are you thinking the intercooler mounts on the rear? It's a front mount. Even in the rear the cold side air wouldn't just heat up by itself. Once the charge is cool, it will stay cool.

Mid mount setups actually run cooler than any top mount turbo setup (hellion). The hot side piping ( from turbo to intercooler) has a chance to cool off as it runs through the pipes to the IC. Then the intercooler brings it down very close to ambient. Then the cold side piping runs to the throttle body. Where would it "be so hot" exactly?

I'll bet my intake temps will be lower than any cold air intake since all CIAs for this rig sit in the engine bay. I'm using the same intercooler I use on my Nissan supercharger kits. That setup comes in at 20*F over ambient at 11 psi and the filter is placed in the engine bay.

This mid mounts filter will be ingesting ambient air temps to start and at only 6psi it should be right at ambient again post IC and entering the TB.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm saying the turbos are placed right behind the exhaust manifold down in a tight spot after you do all your plumbing and assuming you can place the fresh air intake for turbos in such a way that it won't be sucking up all the heat back there. You might be good. I can't even picture how you're going add a filter.
You can't really run the pipes to the IC back over the exhaust manifold so your going to have to run them under the frame of the truck between the to lower a-frame mounts.
I remember asking the shop that tried this already, how they would keep the oil in the oil pan from cooking. Never heard back.

But hey, if you have the money anything can be accomplished.
Good luck with your build, keep us informed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Topgunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh. Thats where the confusion comes in. This is a large single turbo setup. The beauty of the build is that the 6.2 already did the hard work and made me a nice collector pipe. It is 3.5" pipe at that point where the stock resonator would fit up to the collector ball flange. This is where I will mount the single turbo. The charge piping will slip right through along side the sub-frame away from any heat source and the filter will snug up right from the intake of the turbo. The turbo will be mounted and clocked in an orientation that heat will not become an issue. Nothing will sit remotely close to the oil pan and it will ingest cold air. With the Oil-less Comp turbo it will not require and oil source so no messing with dropping oil pans and all that crappy/messy work. It simply is a plug and play T-fitting to the heater hose for feed and return of water.

I know its hard to picture it since it has not been attempted. A few posts back someone said that "there have been a few guys that have attempted to build their own turbo setups"....but I dont believe it. I cant find a single instance of this. Certainly not a single turbo build.

I dont know, for some reason this just seems easy to do given all the space and that sweet collector pipe just sitting there begging for a turbo. :biggrin:.

If this works it will be a 2 hour turbo install (with water feed/return), 2 hour piping, and 1 hour injector swap. I bet someone could take a kit like this and slap it on in 5 hours.

I have a guy that has tuned hundreds of the 6r80 trannys and that seems like it is the most difficult part.

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A few posts back someone said that "there have been a few guys that have attempted to build their own turbo setups"....but I dont believe it. I cant find a single instance of this. Certainly not a single turbo build.

It has definitely been done before and posted about both here and on facebook.

Again, most of the turbo guys go radio silent and we hardly ever wind up hearing the outcome. We do know of some Hellion trucks that put down a good pass or two but that's about it.

We've speculated that it's tuning issues (surge and the like) that made the trucks hard to live with. Tuning for a turbo on a truck that didn't originally have forced induction must have its challenges.

Hopefully your build goes well, though. We'd certainly love to hear about it either way.

OP
OP
T

Topgunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surge? Such as turbo surge? I was a little concerned about creep with this big breathing engine. Hope a 44mm wg can dump enough.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Surge? Such as turbo surge? I was a little concerned about creep with this big breathing engine. Hope a 44mm wg can dump enough.

I really can't comment beyond this point. I've only ever had one turbo motor so I am far from an expert on the subject. I just wanted to reiterate that you are not the first person to attempt what you are attempting. I have seen many posts on the subject and precisely zero follow ups with dyno videos and charts and happy owners.

You should definitely join the facebook group and do some searching there as well as some additional searching here.

Side note: I am not a biased Whipple owner. I originally wanted to run the Hellion kit on my truck. Who wouldn't want to make the same horsepower at lower boost with 100 ft/lbs more torque? I just couldn't find a reputable tuner who was willing to work on one.

I sincerely do wish you the best with your build. Please report back!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think it'll work fine physically, it's just a matter if you can get it tuned.

I don't think the oil-less turbo is a good idea- seems like people have had issues with them. You are going to be a beta tester for them. I'd just run the oil return to a tank and run a good scavenge pump. It's going to be way cheaper long term and open you up to using any turbo you want.