Mechanically and Technologically Competent, but New to Cars - Need Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi All:

I just picked up a certified pre-owned 2014 Raptor with the luxury package. It has 30K miles and clean carfax with one owner who only used it for on-road general commuting. Its a great car with no issues but a few visual blemishes (one small, generally unnoticeable dent on the driver side door and one small, similarly unnoticeable scratch on the back left fender). I am really happy with it. I have dreamed about getting my first truck, and more specifically a Raptor, for years.

I am fairly component with consumer level engineering (particularly computers), but pretty new to cars so apologies in advance if it doesn't seem like I know what I am doing. I am looking for some sage advice and some education.

I would like to modify the truck to achieve better performance and give it a slightly more aggressive sound.

I am thinking of the following:

1) Ford Performance by Borla Touring Cat-Back Exhaust (https://www.americanmuscle.com/fordracing-dual-side-exhuast-raptor-1114.html)

2) Air intake (need suggestions)

3) Some sort of tune (thinking 5 Star)

4) Pedal Commander

I see videos on youtube and some older comments here, but it hard for me to figure out whether these items are (i) a good complete set of upgrades and (ii) what are good current recommendations for each.

I would like to do as much as possible myself; although I am most worried about doing the exhaust myself (unless someone convinces me its not that hard without a formal lift to get under the vehicle).

For anyone with advice and is kind enough to share it, please let me know if there are components that I am missing and any recommendations for specific components. Also, what components will make the biggest difference and in what order I should install. Again, this is all really new to me so please feel free to speak in basic terms. It's all a learning experience for me.

Thanks in advance!

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a k&n intake I like a lot and I had a livewire TS with 5 star tunes, both good. I went with a flowmaster muffler change instead of a full exhaust. I'm also thinking of a pedal commander. Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 12951

Will you be taking this "truck" off-road?

If so, I would not recommend the Ford Racing cat-back. If this poor thing will never see dirt then this exhaust is pretty awesome. Very easy to install and can do it in your driveway. Drop the spare. If you can jack it up and have on stands, that is all the clearance you need. Two bolts in the front, thing just drops off the hangers (one above the muffler you need to just remove for the install) and you are out. It uses all factory hangers and ready to go. It did not come with bolts, at least mine didn't but just get a pair a little smaller in diameter and tighten it down.

I had this same exhaust, just took it off-road one too many times. I now have a MBRP turndown and its out of the way.

Off-road CAI, the Afe Magnum is a good choice. Optional cover to use when off-roading to keep the filter from getting clogged up with dirt.

5 Star is well known, can't go wrong there.

Pedal Commander is absolutely awesome. I actually had a tuner and sold it after I tried out the Pedal Commander.

Congrats and good luck with your modding.

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
I have a k&n intake I like a lot and I had a livewire TS with 5 star tunes, both good. I went with a flowmaster muffler change instead of a full exhaust. I'm also thinking of a pedal commander. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks, Waddell. Can you tell me which K&N intake you have? Did you notice a significant performance and/or sound improvement. I see the K&N 77 High Flow intake and am wondering if it is worth the cost compare to some lower cost alternatives.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Will you be taking this "truck" off-road?

If so, I would not recommend the Ford Racing cat-back. If this poor thing will never see dirt then this exhaust is pretty awesome. Very easy to install and can do it in your driveway. Drop the spare. If you can jack it up and have on stands, that is all the clearance you need. Two bolts in the front, thing just drops off the hangers (one above the muffler you need to just remove for the install) and you are out. It uses all factory hangers and ready to go. It did not come with bolts, at least mine didn't but just get a pair a little smaller in diameter and tighten it down.

I had this same exhaust, just took it off-road one too many times. I now have a MBRP turndown and its out of the way.

Off-road CAI, the Afe Magnum is a good choice. Optional cover to use when off-roading to keep the filter from getting clogged up with dirt.

5 Star is well known, can't go wrong there.

Pedal Commander is absolutely awesome. I actually had a tuner and sold it after I tried out the Pedal Commander.

Congrats and good luck with your modding.

Thanks, RDFTS. I plan to do some off-roading. Not Baja level or much rock crawling; but some. Can I ask why you don't recommend that Ford Racing Cat-back I linked for off road? I take from you answer it has something to do with placement or durability. Also, can you clarify what you mean by MBRP turndown (i.e., model I could get), why its better for off-road and whether it would sound better than stock and have any performance boost?

Also, can you tell me the model you have on the AFE Magnum (if there any different models) and why you think it is a good choice?

Finally, I definitely plan to pickup the Pedal Commander. Do you think that is a good first mod? The others I plan to pick up soon, but the Pedal Commander looks like its a flash to receive and install. It seems you think that a tuner wasn't worth it after you had the Pedal Commander. Does the Pedal Commander act as a substitute for a tune? I have seen many commentators discuss this, but it is a it unclear to me what the general consensus is.

Thanks for replying and the good information. Sorry about the need for basic explanation. This is all new to me.

Excited to get going!

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do infact have the 77 series, easy install did it myself and I'd say pretty confidently anybody with little to no experience could do it in 90 minutes if they follow the directions.

Now onto the performance, I cannot seal my intake up like RDFTS, mine is an open layout. Keeping that in mind, I do a lot of offroading and I've never had a filter issue. It says in the manual to clean the filter every so many miles and I follow through, the filter is super easy to clean and very easy to take care of.

The sound before and after with stock exaust was no lie incredible. Completely changed the truck for me. It makes a lot deeper of a note and I'd say let's the truck rev up faster.

I ended up changing the muffler because I wanted a little more growl to go along with that deeper note and I got it all!

I'd say with the intake definitely stick to name brand units, doesn't have to be k&n, but don't go buy a cheap off brand. One of my buddies did and it didn't end well. Consistent problems keeping it on, no power gains whatsoever it was awful.

Hey now I wanna ask you a question, I was considering law school, in your opinion would you do it again and why? Tough question I know, I looked hard at it but haven't asked a professional lawyer how the job is yet hahah

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
I do infact have the 77 series, easy install did it myself and I'd say pretty confidently anybody with little to no experience could do it in 90 minutes if they follow the directions.

Now onto the performance, I cannot seal my intake up like RDFTS, mine is an open layout. Keeping that in mind, I do a lot of offroading and I've never had a filter issue. It says in the manual to clean the filter every so many miles and I follow through, the filter is super easy to clean and very easy to take care of.

The sound before and after with stock exaust was no lie incredible. Completely changed the truck for me. It makes a lot deeper of a note and I'd say let's the truck rev up faster.

I ended up changing the muffler because I wanted a little more growl to go along with that deeper note and I got it all!

I'd say with the intake definitely stick to name brand units, doesn't have to be k&n, but don't go buy a cheap off brand. One of my buddies did and it didn't end well. Consistent problems keeping it on, no power gains whatsoever it was awful.

Hey now I wanna ask you a question, I was considering law school, in your opinion would you do it again and why? Tough question I know, I looked hard at it but haven't asked a professional lawyer how the job is yet hahah

Thanks, Waddellw. I appreciate the guidance. I might just give throwing a CAI in the truck this weekend (depending on work availability and how quick I can get the parts). Do you run the K&N with the stock tune?

At the risk of derailing the thread, I enjoy being an attorney. I am a transactional/corporate attorney for technology companies in Silicon Valley. The hours can be tough because you are always 100% on call for your clients, but it can be very rewarding. If you want more information on law school admission and success, career types, what it takes to make it to Biglaw with the large starting salary, etc., feel free to PM me. I don't think my fellow Raptor enthusiasts want me going into the vagaries of the LSAT here.

D

Deleted member 12951

Thanks, RDFTS. I plan to do some off-roading. Not Baja level or much rock crawling; but some. Can I ask why you don't recommend that Ford Racing Cat-back I linked for off road? I take from you answer it has something to do with placement or durability. Also, can you clarify what you mean by MBRP turndown (i.e., model I could get), why its better for off-road and whether it would sound better than stock and have any performance boost?

Also, can you tell me the model you have on the AFE Magnum (if there any different models) and why you think it is a good choice?

Finally, I definitely plan to pickup the Pedal Commander. Do you think that is a good first mod? The others I plan to pick up soon, but the Pedal Commander looks like its a flash to receive and install. It seems you think that a tuner wasn't worth it after you had the Pedal Commander. Does the Pedal Commander act as a substitute for a tune? I have seen many commentators discuss this, but it is a it unclear to me what the general consensus is.

Thanks for replying and the good information. Sorry about the need for basic explanation. This is all new to me.

Excited to get going!

The exhaust tailpipe on that runs pretty much the same way as stock, exits behind the rear tire. When off-roading you can tend to drag and/or hit it. When I took it off-road, I tore the last hanger off. Warranty was great, they replace the tailpipe section and they didn't need the broken one back. As most guys do with the stock exhaust and cut it off right over the axle, I did the same thing to the tailpipe section of the Ford Racing. I would easily swap that piece out leaving it whole when DD and swap the cut off part when off-roading. Found that the two mufflers would hit and eventually ripped the tube out of the resonator closest to the mount. It was replaced under warranty again, broke again and started welding it. Keep getting hit and it ripped it out on the other side. The muffler section stayed in tact. Holes started to show in that section before the mufflers though. My last off-road trip before I took it off, actually came off and became a shovel real quick. Ended up just tired of dealing with it and tossed it. But like I said, if street driving and light-light off-road you should be fine.

A turndown is a shorter exhaust and turns down the exhaust before the axle, leaving the suspension alone. It sits up higher out of the way and the muffler is not as big so most likely won't get hit. Performance boost I imagine is there because the exhaust exits quicker but figure its not really much to measure.

I actually have the stock intake, think it works best for off-roading. I carry two filters that I can easily swap out and they are cheap. I was suggesting the aFE Magnum because it has that optional cover that you can put on. If you are in front of the trail, then you rarely see dust, I am not always the lead so you eat some along the way.

I would start with the Pedal Commander and go from there to see what you think.

I do have a disclaimer though, I work for Freedom Motorsports and can sell all most all things for these raptor's. Before I started there, I did try out a few things and have added mods and changed them for others, so have somewhat an idea what works and doesn't so well.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
P
Reaction score
The exhaust tailpipe on that runs pretty much the same way as stock, exits behind the rear tire. When off-roading you can tend to drag and/or hit it. When I took it off-road, I tore the last hanger off. Warranty was great, they replace the tailpipe section and they didn't need the broken one back. As most guys do with the stock exhaust and cut it off right over the axle, I did the same thing to the tailpipe section of the Ford Racing. I would easily swap that piece out leaving it whole when DD and swap the cut off part when off-roading. Found that the two mufflers would hit and eventually ripped the tube out of the resonator closest to the mount. It was replaced under warranty again, broke again and started welding it. Keep getting hit and it ripped it out on the other side. The muffler section stayed in tact. Holes started to show in that section before the mufflers though. My last off-road trip before I took it off, actually came off and became a shovel real quick. Ended up just tired of dealing with it and tossed it. But like I said, if street driving and light-light off-road you should be fine.

A turndown is a shorter exhaust and turns down the exhaust before the axle, leaving the suspension alone. It sits up higher out of the way and the muffler is not as big so most likely won't get hit. Performance boost I imagine is there because the exhaust exits quicker but figure its not really much to measure.

I actually have the stock intake, think it works best for off-roading. I carry two filters that I can easily swap out and they are cheap. I was suggesting the aFE Magnum because it has that optional cover that you can put on. If you are in front of the trail, then you rarely see dust, I am not always the lead so you eat some along the way.

I would start with the Pedal Commander and go from there to see what you think.

I do have a disclaimer though, I work for Freedom Motorsports and can sell all most all things for these raptor's. Before I started there, I did try out a few things and have added mods and changed them for others, so have somewhat an idea what works and doesn't so well.

Thanks for the thorough explanation, RDFTS. I picked up the Pedal Commander and installed it tonight. Wow. It certainly makes a difference. Once I get the right setting dialed in, I think I will grow to love it.

I also ordered an AirRaid CAI to give a shot and will turn to the exhaust next. I appreciate the guidance on both. I don't think my off-roading will get to your level but I would still like a durable exhaust system in case things get out of hand. I will let you know how it goes.

If there are other mods I am not thinking of, please let me know.

Thanks again to all who responded here.

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
As an update to anyone interested, I installed the Pedal Commander this week, as well as an AirRaid CAI. Each alone is great, but in combination it feels and sounds like a different truck. I really enjoy that beautiful sound the CAI puts out so I think that is my favorite of the two, but the responsiveness the Pedal Commander causes also brings a smile to my face.

In the next few months I will probably put on an exhaust.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@PaloAltpLawyer, does your new AirRaid CAI use the dry filter or the oiled filter? If it's the oiled filter, be very careful not to over oil it when you service it. Oiled filters are known to gum up air flow sensors. I have first-hand experience with that.