K&N, Airaid, AFE, Volant, or other?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What SaintsFan said. The plenum mitigates "intake honk." It does not represent a restriction to air flow, and I seriously doubt that there's any additional vibration associated with removing it. Codes? That's something else again. AIRAID retains the plenum, and I'm thoroughly satisfied with it.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What SaintsFan said. The plenum mitigates "intake honk." It does not represent a restriction to air flow, and I seriously doubt that there's any additional vibration associated with removing it. Codes? That's something else again. AIRAID retains the plenum, and I'm thoroughly satisfied with it.

If there are no other connections and minimal to no restriction, how could the truck know it's gone and throw codes?

SaintsFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea, but probably just the combination of the increased air flow from the CAI and the box being removed. If I recall correctly, someone reported their truck was throwing a MAF code. But ask Ironman, he has some experience on the topic I believe.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sensors sense shit, you know? The combination of sensors is complex, and the algorithyms that take the sensor data, interpret it, and make decisions for the engine, transmission and brakes at a rate of 50 times per second are complex. Whatever it is that they're doing, they were designed to work with the plenum. Removal of the plenum necessarily introduces unintended conditions that are outside of the algorithyms. Maybe the map can handle it under normal driving conditions, and maybe it'll throw codes. But when pushed to the limit of the performance envelope (like in an emergency maneuver), things may not work right just when you need them to work perfectly. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

MackAttack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put the AFE on my 2010 5.4L. You all are way to in the weeds for me. It looks great. Unfortunately, I have not driven it since the install. My wife had it installed the same time I had the Magnaflow installed. I am not in the country right now and wont be able to drive it until the end of March. I was worried about warning codes but she drove it home, about 50 miles, with no issues. I guess we will see.

OP
OP
Raptor Embroidery

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Airaid

After careful thought(3 seconds) I ordered the airaid because of
the ease of install and the retainment of the 6.2 plenum! Thanks for the help you guyz!

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They both suck air but which one sucks better ?

Cant decide between the Airaid and Roush Cai >???? what do you Ladies & Gents think ? 12 SCREW....6.2L

Drewa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the Airaid, not because I know it will work better. But because I am hoping it will, due to being a smoother intake tube.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

I just hope the filter is of great quality and keeps the dust out of my engine.

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some research , I am leaning towards the Airaid 401-272 SynthaMax Dry Filter Intake System - because I cant find any info on Roush's site if his filter on the Cai is oiled or not ? hmmmmmmmmm Anyone with an answer care to chime in here ?

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Caution: Cold water will be thrown on this subject.

I've been down this road before with aftermarket CAI and in my opinion, they're not worth it.

Dealing with questionable oiling/cleaning procedures and issues with MAF sensors and warranty headaches just isn't worth whatever miniscule benefit you think you'll get in terms of added power.

I know it's blasphemy but at the end of the day you won't feel a thing - you may HEAR it but seriously - you won't really notice a difference and given the costs and "risks" why bother?