K&N, Airaid, AFE, Volant, or other?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No. No, no, no, no. I didn't want to start another damned mileage thread. It was about CAIs and expectations. That's all. (hangs head in pathetic shame and shuffles off to the dungeon where thread hijackers are made astoundingly taller and are set free from the tyrany of having fingernails and toenails)

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. No, no, no, no. I didn't want to start another damned mileage thread. It was about CAIs and expectations. That's all. (hangs head in pathetic shame and shuffles off to the dungeon where thread hijackers are made astoundingly taller and are set free from the tyrany of having fingernails and toenails)

Ouch.....:doublepuke:

crashmc302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sry, not where I was trying to go w it. Just sayin there isn't much difference. The K&N is out of the question if anyone wants to keep the plenum. I put it on my truck and it goes directly in w/o that annoying box

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So which of the aftermarket offerings comes closest to satisfying all of the above criteria?

And of the Roush, are you saying that the accordion ribs probably don't hurt things too much, as the largest pressure drop is addressed at the filter?

IMO, Based on what few pictures that I have seen of those CAI available for the Raptor, I'd say the AirRaid has the best design for performance.

Many others will have varying opinions. I would say there is very little differences in performance improvement.

That said, none of them have a conical shaped intake tube.

The accordion ribs on the Roush would have a slight additional pressure drop that a smooth intake tube wouldn't have

Last edited:

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Based on what few pictures that I have seen of those CAI available for the Raptor, I'd say the AirRaid has the best design for performance.

Many others will have varying opinions. I would say there is very little differences in performance improvement.

That said, none of them have a conical shaped intake tube.

The accordion ribs on the Roush would have a slight additional pressure drop that a smooth intake tube wouldn't have

Agreed. Basic law of air flow. ribbed = bad, smooth = good. The only exception to that rule is condoms. :peace:

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked at the systems different filter Efficiency? High airflow is good but 2nd to protecting my $8000 6.2L motor. I would be interested in knowing efficiency @ various particle sizes.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sry, not where I was trying to go w it. Just sayin there isn't much difference. The K&N is out of the question if anyone wants to keep the plenum. I put it on my truck and it goes directly in w/o that annoying box

This "plenum" is the box that the air duct first goes into, right? It says 6.2 on it? It's basically a muffler of sorts? Do you just end up removing it altogether? Doesn't it have some connections to various gizmos? I haven't looked yet.

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dane said:
This "plenum" is the box that the air duct first goes into, right? It says 6.2 on it? It's basically a muffler of sorts? Do you just end up removing it altogether? Doesn't it have some connections to various gizmos? I haven't looked yet.

My understanding is that it is a muffler for the wooshing sound that big v8s make while breathing. I can't imagine it helps with airflow

The K&N system that deletes it claims a 20 horsepower gain while the Airaid that keeps it claims a 12 hp gain.

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My understanding is that it is a muffler for the wooshing sound that big v8s make while breathing. I can't imagine it helps with airflow

The K&N system that deletes it claims a 20 horsepower gain while the Airaid that keeps it claims a 12 hp gain.

But to be clear, looking at my stock Raptor, we're talking about the box the air duct runs into (has a big 6.2 on it). Are there any other considerations to removing that box other than just running the new (K&N for example) duct to the point where that box's current output is? Any other wires, hoses, complications?

SaintsFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dane, it is my understanding that yes, the box with the 6.2 is removable with a few simple bolts. I read on another thread that removing it will result in extra noise and possibly some added vibration. Also, if it is removed in combination with running certain intakes, a tune is necessary to avoid engine error codes. I elected to retain the plenum box and run the AFE/5 Star combo, which I am pleased with so far.