JDM vs 5* vs SVC tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well he had a group that swore by him as well, then eventually slowly fell apart.
The F150 forum guys he had a heck of a loyal following.
Here's his MO - he works with a few guys and really gets them dialed in, then sells that to everyone as a 'custom' tune with 'free tweaks'...then you start needing tweaks and having issues and if you dare post your issues on a public forum (after giving him multiple chances to fix, logs, etc), his group burns you down and tells you your the only one having the issue, or you need to update do to an old version and that update is extra $.
He did a great job on my truck if I never took it on road trips. After a few hours of driving various issues would arise. I got over a dozen PM's on guys saying they had similar issues, but weren't willing to post as his 'SSI mafia' guys would start having a hay day burning anyone down that posted anything negative SSI.
I defended the guy for a while, even donated to his Christmas Bikes for Kids fund; thought he was being honest with me.
I am telling you, he has a history of scams...
Do not buy from SO CAL TUNING - Ford Mustang Forum
Look at his arrogance here - funny how he talks about 5 star, yet my experience with him he is/was exactly the same.
Tune reviews / How they stack up - SSi, LMS, Unleashed, 5 Star, MPT, etc

BTW - not all the SHO group swears by him
SSi tune? | SHO Forum

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/shawn-ellis-tuning.86452/

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/shawn-ellis-ssi-tune-review-42888/

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have seen other unhappy threads as well. It is all over the place either yay or nay. Nothing inbetween.

OP
OP
D

donk_316

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in my impatience and having to wait 3-5 weeks for a tune I went with a 4th company to tune my truck who was spoke of extremely highly on this forum.

I loaded their tune, did some idle / rev and WOT logs, got a revision tune and now have put close to 2000kms on the tune.

Here's my issues (yes I have emailed the Tuner and the response wasn't what I was looking to hear)

1.The truck surges when cold. Like someone is feathering the throttle. You can still notice it slightly when truck is warm.

2.Truck will stall at sudden stops. Doesn't do it every time but it will happen.

3.Also very rarely, I get a misfire CEL

Truck mods:
Roush Supercharger kit
VMP 72mm pulley
Ford Racing 65mm dual TB
NGK 6510 spark plugs gapped at 030
Kooks 1 3/4" Long Tube Headers
Kooks off-road Y pipe
Roush catback exhaust w/ custom resonator

For the price of these "tunes" I really can't afford to keep paying out the ass for experimentation.

Should I have just bit the bullet and waited for JDM? Or is this possibly a mechanical issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

donk_316

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ended up going with a JDM Tune. Much more stable tune. Surging and stalling gone. Should have gone with JDM in the beginning once I installed the SC.

Didn’t get a chance to use SVC SC tune. They couldn’t find my strategy code so I moved on. Their NA tune was spot on though.