JDM vs 5* vs SVC tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorJet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can personally vouch for JDM in Freehold, NJ. I gave them my truck when i was away on my honeymoon for a full exhaust setup (headers and all), intake, tune and mid perch adjustment. The difference in the truck was night and day after i got it back from them. Jim is a great dude and would recommend JDM to anyone. Absolutely phenomenal communication throughout the process and awesome work. The truck will go back soon for more work.

ittybittyfds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered this when I was researching tunes. I went With 5Star myself because they seemed to be the most popular at the time. Probably because they have been tuning the Raptors for quite some time. I run the 93 Performance as my Daily. My only complaint has been that the shifts from 2-3 and 4-3 can be harsh. I have had my Driveshaft lubed a few times lately because of noises...I put 2 and 2 together and I am pretty sure my tune is attributing to this. Chris@5Star has been great to deal with. They even sent me updated tunes once I added the CAI to my Raptor. I really only use the 93 Performance tune. The others tunes didnt seem to make a huge impact in my butt dial. I was gonna eventually try "The Tune" from SVC. I have not heard anything but good about there tune so eventually I will try it out. I still don't get the big cost differences between them.

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price on the website is $385 + $26.47 taxes added at the checkout, so the total is $411.47

I appreciate your response but as you can surely guess, every tuner says that. Literally word for word.

Hello fellow 1 of 1 Viper owner!

I've tried 5 Star and now run the SVC tune. 5 Star seems to give a little more horse power with "harder shifts".

No experience with JDM, but if I was to buy a supercharger I'd lean towards buying it from them with their tune.

Both companies are great to deal with. Jeff at SVC was able to customize mine beyond their standard options. The tune really makes the truck more responsive and fun to drive, especially if your other car is a 6 speed and you're used to always being in the power band.

Probably just have to see which company can tailor to your needs more.

Don't remember if you have the Arrow Controller, but I would say the tune on the Raptor has similar results.

OP
OP
D

donk_316

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I did tune my previous truck (ecoboost) with a tune from LET. Everyone raved about that but in reality, it's a small difference from stock.

If there was some sort of justification for paying 4 times more for JDM over 5* then I would be more inclined to go that route.

I have emailed all 3 tuners and all 3 say basically the same thing. The tune will be built based off my modifications and strategy code and how they are the best in the business.

Someone earlier mentioned SVC and a pedal commander package. Not too sold on the pedal commander as most tuners can tune the throttle response through the tune and not an added box.

Atleast, that's what they did with my '13 ecoboost

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For me SVC was better then 5 star. 5 stars multiple tunes are cool to play with but the SVC single tune was smoother. My truck is stock no engine or exhaust mods and both companies tunes made a noticeable difference. My vote is SVC.

Doc Constantine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone earlier mentioned SVC and a pedal commander package. Not too sold on the pedal commander as most tuners can tune the throttle response through the tune and not an added box.

Atleast, that's what they did with my '13 ecoboost

Yes, the tune can adjust the throttle, once and done. The pedal commander can continue to fine tune it on the fly. I had it at the Snoball and was able to keep tuning the throttle based on conditions (and turn it off completely when I was being recovered).

Not something you have to get right away, but I recommend keeping it in mind for down the road. The SVC tune functions fine without it.

impactbumper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$250.00 to SVC not only bought a killer tune, but also a great service. Jeff is sooo responsive to any and all questions. I do not know about other tunes, can not speak for them. I am happy with what i have.

5star

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I wondered this when I was researching tunes. I went With 5Star myself because they seemed to be the most popular at the time. Probably because they have been tuning the Raptors for quite some time. I run the 93 Performance as my Daily. My only complaint has been that the shifts from 2-3 and 4-3 can be harsh. I have had my Driveshaft lubed a few times lately because of noises...I put 2 and 2 together and I am pretty sure my tune is attributing to this. Chris@5Star has been great to deal with. They even sent me updated tunes once I added the CAI to my Raptor. I really only use the 93 Performance tune. The others tunes didnt seem to make a huge impact in my butt dial. I was gonna eventually try "The Tune" from SVC. I have not heard anything but good about there tune so eventually I will try it out. I still don't get the big cost differences between them.

Appreciate the feedback ittybittyfds. Drop us a line at [email protected] and we will get your file updated for you to eliminate the harsh shifts. Let us know what speed/rpm and % of throttle you are at when the harshness occurs. We can also log the vehicle to further refine the tune. As for the cost differences.... everyone has a different value of their time. In addition to providing the best option for your vehicle we also want to be conscious of the investment on your part. We want everyone to have great tunes and have kept our pricing structure very similar to our origination over 14 years ago.

Chris

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

I have the 5* and love it cant comment on the others but chris at 5* has totally awesome service. Quick and very helpful.

Thank you for sharing your experience Glenbartley! Happy to help out in every way that I can!

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

+2 for 5 star those guys are very helpful and informative next step for me is to data log my 93 performance tune and have them tweak it even more

Thank you for sharing your feedback 03svt! Happy to help throughout the DL process and getting your vehicle dialed in!

OP
OP
D

donk_316

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ended up going with SVC.

I swapped in some Kooks headers, off road Y pipe, Roush catback, Airraid intake.

I used the SCT canned tune for 3-4 days while I waited for the SVC tune.

The canned tune felt sloppy. Lazy. I gave it a few days to adjust also but still felt... fat.

I loaded the SVC tune and did the Kam reset. Truck is like an angry version of a stock Raptor. Everything is crisp and instant. Shifts are where they should be. Basically stock for old man driving around town or in your face when you ask it.

Truck idles cleaner (?) if that is a good way to discribe it. Acceleration is smooth and instant.

I'm done. This truck is 100% now.

Thanks to this forum for the header install help and thanks to Jeff @svc for the tune.