JDM upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlatigo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just placed an order for the intercooler upgrade with the dual fans, throttle body, plugs and a tune for my Roush stage 2 setup. Now the wait begins for sweetness to arrive!

OP
OP
jlatigo

jlatigo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was going to order the pulley but i was informed that i would have to use the same belt. They say for most people that will work great but for me it wont due to me having already thrown a belt at TRR. Rapid hard on and off throttle use with rapid steering movements will throw a new and tight belt, a loose one due to a smaller pulley will fly off in no time. I seriously wanted or should i say want it but i cant until the belt throwing is no longer an issue. I should see a dramatic difference in how the power comes on with theses upgrades already, but like most of us....more usuable power is always welcomed!

Stealthf1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been running a smaller pulleys for a few years now never have slung a belt, and I had the kit before they introduced the shield for the newer models. Held up great at TRR.

OP
OP
jlatigo

jlatigo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been running a smaller pulleys for a few years now never have slung a belt, and I had the kit before they introduced the shield for the newer models. Held up great at TRR.

i deff need this gaurd

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I think Stealthf1 would agree with me on this, It's 90% the Tune's fault that will cause you to throw belts.
If the Tune has the shifting set to harsh it will send the belt tensioner for a ride and produce too much slack, the belt is 124.7 or 125.1 inches long depending on pulley size.
That's a lot of belt stretch and stretch's even more when hot.
I would wait till you get a Tune and even get a new belt making sure it's adjusted correctly and readjust it once you get 50-100 miles on the belt.
It does stretch after first use, a good 1/4 to a 1/2 inch, depending on temp.

I was thinking of getting the Fead shield myself for the Whipple when I went .125" smaller pulley and started to throw the belt a couple of times in the winter.
But after some Tune revisions and replacing the belt tensioner to the newer version, I haven't thrown a belt in over a year and a half.
Note: Mine is a 2010, I did not have the revised belt tensioner that Ford came out with in 2011-2012

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The difference in the pulley is only 1 psi boost, from 75mm stock to a 72mm. That is about 10-15 HP, not much in the big picture. We recommend that with the upgrades he is doing already there will be plenty enough power increase to warrant not using the pulley. If he feels like he needs a little pick me up in the future it is an easy swap. I told jlatigo that the smaller pulley would require an idler and still retains the factory length belt since the Roush is an odd ball length. A 90mm idler will take up the slack, that is what most guys do using the 72mm pulley.

The Roush is a different animal than the Whipple blower, it uses smaller diameter blower pulleys which is going to put less belt wrap around the pulley. Your more likely to see belt slip or the belt jump off unlike the Whipple. Hence the fead belt guard. There are issues tuning related with shift points that will create the belt to jump as well. We have our tuning dialed in, that won't be an issue. However since jlatigo said he likes to do offroad and aggressive style of driving I took a careful approach into his upgrades and gave him room to improve down the road if he chooses to do so.

Parts should be on they're way to you ASAP!

JimIII