Improve throttle response?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neoxaero

Reaction score
Hey All,

What can be done to improve the throttle response on this truck? It feels really lazy. I have an SCT x3 tuner (the 3015 one)..

I've tried the 87, 89 and 93 octane tunes that are built in but they don't seem to change the parameters I'm looking for... I assume a custom tune can allow a 100% throttle opening at lower RPMs? Really makes me miss a good ole cable operated throttle..

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's exactly the same question I've been asking. I cannot believe they can't figure out how to fix that. I absolutely hate fly by wire throttle bodies. If it's possible, I'd rip that pos off and install a cable operated 90mm throttle body.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you guys are looking for, using aftermarket Tunes does remove the 3,500 rpm 100% throttle restriction.

The 6.2L wasn't built for quick high HP like a 5.8L Cobarjet.
And 35" tires and 6000 lbs. with only 411 to 430 fwhp is not going to snap you back in the seat until you Supercharge and add the 200 + fwhp the Raptor needs.

Been there done that.

Last edited:

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change gears to 4.56 - 4.88 range or supercharger most likely is going to be your options.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was my issue as well. The tune certainly can help. I went with a 5 star aggressive tune. It was better. Then I supercharged, but had to go custom tune on that as well(JDM), then is was better. I just replaced the throttle body last week with the Ford twin 65mm, and have noticed another improvement. The gears would make the biggest difference as I drove a guys who had done 4.88's. As you can see in my sig line. I have done every bolt on possible, and it is a ton better. Still contemplating the gears as a last final mod. Having a +6000 pound truck going 0-60 in 6 seconds is pretty cool and kind of silly at the same time, but who cares! I like it. The gears might shave close to a second off as it just gives so much more low end power. My issue I do not want to cruise the highway at 3500 rpm's. Sorry to get long winded.

tune
throttle body upgrade
supercharge

Those are the remedies in that order. Someone tell me if I am missing something. I can tell you the difference from a stock raptor is astonishing now. I drove my friend's who just got his, and he drove mine....It is like driving 2 completely different vehicles. I could never go back. :)

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This was my issue as well. The tune certainly can help. I went with a 5 star aggressive tune. It was better. Then I supercharged, but had to go custom tune on that as well(JDM), then is was better. I just replaced the throttle body last week with the Ford twin 65mm, and have noticed another improvement. The gears would make the biggest difference as I drove a guys who had done 4.88's. As you can see in my sig line. I have done every bolt on possible, and it is a ton better. Still contemplating the gears as a last final mod. Having a +6000 pound truck going 0-60 in 6 seconds is pretty cool and kind of silly at the same time, but who cares! I like it. The gears might shave close to a second off as it just gives so much more low end power. My issue I do not want to cruise the highway at 3500 rpm's. Sorry to get long winded.

tune
throttle body upgrade
supercharge

Those are the remedies in that order. Someone tell me if I am missing something. I can tell you the difference from a stock raptor is astonishing now. I drove my friend's who just got his, and he drove mine....It is like driving 2 completely different vehicles. I could never go back. :)

I've reading this all day and I'm going to nit pick.

The order is:

Supercharge
TB
Tune

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mtf,

Not necessarily the order. If you want a cheap quick fix for the throttle response, the tune it first. If that is not enough then Supercharge and throttle body. The latter is 10k total. That's a big number for better throttle response! But it is worth it to me.

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the SCT X3 93 performance tune on her and it still has the dumb wait till it hits 3500rpm bs. I would love to know what tune to buy to get rid of that torque management crap that makes you wait till 3500rpm. I just might have to get the 700hp JDM Kit. I'll see how nice my tax return will be.

P.S.
I'm gonna get the mono blade if I supercharge this rig.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh, I see what you're getting at RaptorFlipper.

Dv8tor, while the mono blade works on a stock 6.2L engine with a SC, it's over kill. The mono blade is meant for drag racing.

The CJ twin 65 or Whipple's Twin CJ 68 mm are a better choice.

Last edited: