If MacGyver Built a Snorkel.... How to..Kinda

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlbertaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as some of you may be aware I am one of the few lucky guys to have hydro-locked a 6.2l Raptor.

Long story, stupid moment, never going to happen again.

Here's why:

If you remove your headlight and look behind it you see this:

view-from-inside-headlight-stock.jpg

Too damn low and catches all the splash from around the wheel.

I cut the factory inlet here:

where-to-cut.jpg

Attached a 3" coupling made of rubber like so:

3-inch-coupling.jpg

Then I rigged up a 3 inch diameter by 26" piece of PVC attached to a 90 degree bend seen here in this crappy photo. I never should have rested it in the air box for the photo , it was just sitting there. It is not attached:

26-inch-tube.jpg

Drilled some drainage holes just incase the water makes it into the tube:

drainage-holes.jpg

Wrapped it in foam by butchering a humidifier filter and threw on some duct tape for the Red Green fans out there. I wanted to cushion the movement in the inner fender and I wanted to block partially the ability of those holes to suck in mud and debris while allowing water to drain out of the tube before the air box:

wrapped-in-foam.jpg

air-king-wrap.jpg

I then slid the two parts together using that coupling:

coupling.jpg

So it looks like this from behind the headlight now:

view-from-headlight.jpg

If you look down the fender from the top side with the SVT vent removed it looks like this:

vent-out-looking-into-fender.jpg

And with the vent back in place:

view-from-inside-svt-vent.jpg

No snorker exists, it may not be pretty, but it does work fine and pulls air from a much higher source.

No adverse effect on power or economy or anything. You wouldn't even know it's there.

BUT...

I'm not blowing up another 6.2

Jeff

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. This will work well with the supercharger on the truck

Oh ya... it sure will... I did this cause a lot of people dont bellieve me when I said that installing a cai will not help performance on a NA vehicle... These systems are open to underhood air that gets hot fast and takes a few minutes to clear out. If you are on the road and not stopping its ok but as soon as you stop the underhood air raises and reduces performance...On a NA system the only way to increase air is with a bigger TB a bigger mass air flow sensor... or a a pressurized system...

OP
OP
A

AlbertaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny I'd never seen or heard of this mod prior to doing it today. Guess I'll say great minds think alike or is it fools seldom differ? LOL

I'm happy with the plan and the design and for those wondering you could use a 3" to 4" upsized 90 degree angle and it will fit no problem.

I'm happy and it's like it isn't even there.

Cheers!

Jeff