I know 2nd time I said this but getting SC now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the gears from Livernois and it was $300 and the installation of all the gaskets and the gears at local performance shop was $650. I think its a cheap price for peace of mind.i don't try to convince anybody but it works for me.

hum $900 is not as bad as I thought.
that is more in lines for "insurance"
My installer says the oil pump gear break on most cuz people are bouncing off the limiter that is in line with what the other guy posted about harsh shifts. that was over texting I want to talk to him I want to know why I am not going to do something just cuz some guys on the internet say so. No offense to you guys as a few of you. have been huge help for me. but you get what I am saying.
thanks

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

@ROCKETW19

I'm not quite sure why you are questioning our input of doing the oil gear upgrade.
I've been around a long time on the forum, I have spoken with at least 50+ that have had their oil pump gears fail.
I know of I at least 30 stories from UAE where it has happen, mostly Roush with the Roush Tune.
While there is not much info on the internet but Fleet Trucks and Vans with the non-HO 6.2L have had oil pump failures because of misuse.

Read this over and if you need more explanation call them.

https://www.lmengines.com/mod-motor-oil-pump-failures/

Any serious engine building shop will tell you the same thing.

But hey, if you feel it's still a waste of money don't do it.
It's only around $10k to $12k to through in a new long block complete and installation and Tax if the gears do fail.

I question it cuz no one is saying why they brake. if it is something stupid like my installer says then I dont need to worry I will make sure my tune is set accordingly.

you know I value your opinion thats why I message you but I am not a sheep I dont blindly follow I need to know why. now that its only about a 1000 price tag it gets a lil easier to just say what ever do it but at 2000 I was willing to take my chances to tell ya the truth. 1000 is even a lot when I'm willing to bet theres way more truck that are fine than not. my dealer never heard of it. JDM says its a good idea but he has hundreds of trucks with hundreds of miles no gears just fine. my installer say rev limiter and that is all I have to go on other than guys here saying YOU HAVE TO DO IT but can't say why. I appreciate everyone input all the time but I need more. dont any of you want to know why this is happening? when was the last time it did happen? has it happened to any 2014s theres to many unknowns for me to just follow along that easy. but thank you guys for the help

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think most guys are doing the pump upgrade since the failures starting happen years ago.
Ford hasn't revised the oil pump gears. So if your thinking newer ones won't have an issue is a gamble, JMHO.

Call L&M Motors like I did when I was researching 5 years ago if they have the time they'll explain the reasons.

But basically the Ford gears are to hard and are prone to fracturing.
Where as the TSS gears are 10x stronger, made with several materials while being more forgiving with shock, vibrations and the extra "tick" noise the SC adds.
You can look that up on the internet.

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't do oil pump gear.. but I am also not pushing the whipple very hard, 8~9psi, 47lb injector and jdm tune, still under 500rwhp I think. Heard the gear upgrade is must if you are going for over 550 rwhp.

My shop quoted $1000~$1200 to do the pump due to the SC (more works involved?) not going to do it now, will wait for the time when doing gen 3 upgrade:baby:

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't do oil pump gear.. but I am also not pushing the whipple very hard, 8~9psi, 47lb injector and jdm tune, still under 500rwhp I think. Heard the gear upgrade is must if you are going for over 550 rwhp.

My shop quoted $1000~$1200 to do the pump due to the SC (more works involved?) not going to do it now, will wait for the time when doing gen 3 upgrade:baby:

IIRC, it's cheaper to do it before the SC is installed. Less labor.

OP
OP
R

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score

now that is good to know. install oil gear before SC or same time thanks.
did they say why its a "must" after 550 RWHP?

this is how my brain works. you say install oil gears before the SC. I think right away Why? your next sentence tells me why its less labor so saves me time or money.
my brain don't work like this. you "must" install oil gears if going 550RWHP. I again think why? but your next sentence has no reason. this is why its so hard for me to wrap my lil brain around the oil pump "upgrade"
lol saying all that if it is around 900 I might just have to do it so I don't come post here in a few months saying I should of listened lol.

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
now that is good to know. install oil gear before SC or same time thanks.
did they say why its a "must" after 550 RWHP?

this is how my brain works. you say install oil gears before the SC. I think right away Why? your next sentence tells me why its less labor so saves me time or money.
my brain don't work like this. you "must" install oil gears if going 550RWHP. I again think why? but your next sentence has no reason. this is why its so hard for me to wrap my lil brain around the oil pump "upgrade"
lol saying all that if it is around 900 I might just have to do it so I don't come post here in a few months saying I should of listened lol.

The oil pump gears are just added insurance. We've built trucks making more than 550 RWHP who did not upgrade and never had any issues. But I've heard of trucks making alot less power and their gears broke leading to engine failure.

The gears tend to shatter from too much torque or tire chatter from doing burn outs or losing traction and throttle through it. The factory gears are weak. They break in Mustangs all the time, but most Mustang owners are going to the drag strip or who do burn outs and abuse the cars on the street. So it all boils down to how you drive the vehicle and if you feel like risking a $6000 engine for a $1000 upgrade at the time of installing the blower.

I recommend them to everyone we sell superchargers too, not all go for it but those who do probably sleep a little easier at night!

I have some TSS gears left in stock, they have discontinued theirs so if you are interested it's while supplies last!

JimIII

OP
OP
R

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil pump gears are just added insurance. We've built trucks making more than 550 RWHP who did not upgrade and never had any issues. But I've heard of trucks making alot less power and their gears broke leading to engine failure.

The gears tend to shatter from too much torque or tire chatter from doing burn outs or losing traction and throttle through it. The factory gears are weak. They break in Mustangs all the time, but most Mustang owners are going to the drag strip or who do burn outs and abuse the cars on the street. So it all boils down to how you drive the vehicle and if you feel like risking a $6000 engine for a $1000 upgrade at the time of installing the blower.

I recommend them to everyone we sell superchargers too, not all go for it but those who do probably sleep a little easier at night!

I have some TSS gears left in stock, they have discontinued theirs so if you are interested it's while supplies last!

JimIII

thank you for replying I am sure you have seen first hand more trucks than any of us. so your info is important to me.
I do have one crazy question. remember I am not a smart guy so this could be really silly. but could you explain how wheel hop or spin can affect a oil pump gear? again I am just a no body but that seems way far fetched to even me.

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
thank you for replying I am sure you have seen first hand more trucks than any of us. so your info is important to me.
I do have one crazy question. remember I am not a smart guy so this could be really silly. but could you explain how wheel hop or spin can affect a oil pump gear? again I am just a no body but that seems way far fetched to even me.

The driveline chatter promotes vibration through the entire drive train and the gears can shatter from this. This is also why we sell traction bars and the heavy duty leaf springs. They prevent the axle wrap which causes wheel hop.

OP
OP
R

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The driveline chatter promotes vibration through the entire drive train and the gears can shatter from this. This is also why we sell traction bars and the heavy duty leaf springs. They prevent the axle wrap which causes wheel hop.

thank you!
would you say if one was to use track bars or what ever to stop the wheel hop the oil gear is safe?
again thanks I know you are busy

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
thank you!
would you say if one was to use track bars or what ever to stop the wheel hop the oil gear is safe?
again thanks I know you are busy

I would say the traction bars decrease the chances of failure greatly and as well provide you with better traction and stopping wheel hop. However the traction bars are not meant to go off road so if you do go off road or on uneven pavement then you want to take them off or you can bend the bars and brackets that attach them.