HELP!! Power Steering Whining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After taking my truck in for this issue 4 times previous to my trip to TRR15 my power steering is now whining again for what now makes it the fifth time.

Rather than taking my truck in again for the issue I am looking to upgrade the pump and fluid tank. So my question being, what pumps are available or would be a good choice to go with on the market?

I was looking at the HOWE power steering pumps and I believe ICON had one also. I am running 37" BFG Baja T/A tires and offroad frequently so Its time to upgrade to something that can handle the abuse, and no longer give me this problem.

Thank you in advance for the help!

RaptorAddict.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
After taking my truck in for this issue 4 times previous to my trip to TRR15 my power steering is now whining again for what now makes it the fifth time.

Rather than taking my truck in again for the issue I am looking to upgrade the pump and fluid tank. So my question being, what pumps are available or would be a good choice to go with on the market?

I was looking at the HOWE power steering pumps and I believe ICON had one also. I am running 37" BFG Baja T/A tires and offroad frequently so Its time to upgrade to something that can handle the abuse, and no longer give me this problem.

Thank you in advance for the help!

I've been having the same issue for years. Only happens when I lock the rear end and/or put it in 4wd and only when I'm giving the truck a beating. It'll whine until I shut her off. Then it's back to normal. I am planning on going with HOWE as well. But after 95k miles, it never came back a bit me after all the hard off road abuse in that time frame. And folks know I'm not nice to my truck out there. It whines but hasn't gone out on me. Maybe I just got lucky. Has yours gone out? What year is your truck?

OP
OP
SVT_Aaron

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having the same issue for years. Only happens when I lock the rear end and/or put it in 4wd and only when I'm giving the truck a beating. It'll whine until I shut her off. Then it's back to normal. I am planning on going with HOWE as well. But after 95k miles, it never came back a bit me after all the hard off road abuse in that time frame. And folks know I'm not nice to my truck out there. It whines but hasn't gone out on me. Maybe I just got lucky. Has yours gone out? What year is your truck?

Yea I know you give her a beating haha I was out there with the SVC and Haynes offroad guys watching you give her hell!
I am on my third power steering pump, the fourth time I had to take it in because it was leaking so ford replaced the hoses. this time the pump is just whining from start to stop of the engine and gets louder as I accelerate. thankfully it hasnt gone out yet, I have a 2013.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can not confirm not deny that we are working on a complete replacement system from Howe. Don't have a date of release or anything but it is in the works and be warned it will be pricey

OP
OP
SVT_Aaron

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can not confirm not deny that we are working on a complete replacement system from Howe. Don't have a date of release or anything but it is in the works and be warned it will be pricey

Well im kind of expecting any replacement to be pricey, i was looking at the Howe kit over all and its in the 1k price range. At this point all i care about is no longer having the whining noise, but something that is going to perform better and wont go out on me for a price in that range.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Hey man, if you guys need someone on the east coast to test this new system out i know a guy :insane:

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well im kind of expecting any replacement to be pricey, i was looking at the Howe kit over all and its in the 1k price range. At this point all i care about is no longer having the whining noise, but something that is going to perform better and wont go out on me for a price in that range.

Yea this is gonna be a full replacement, pump reservoir rack with an in line cooler and options for a filter as well. I run a cooler and filter on my with my RPG PS reservoir and it has been good so far my trucks over 5 years old with 85K miles still have the stock steering rack and pump so I've been lucky! Trust me when it's available you'll know lol

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Hey man, if you guys need someone on the east coast to test this new system out i know a guy :insane:

Haha well seeing as I'm on the east coast I'll be a great test subject too hahahaha

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I haven't narrowed mine down to rear end locked or 4wd only but mine does whine like a son of a bitch when I'm off roading so maybe that's why. I'm at around 33k miles on my one year old truck that's abused like any good raptor should be and even with all the whining I've never noticed an actual problem.