GEN 1 Help a new guy out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, I went from a 2004 SVT Cobra with 600ish rwhp to a 2013 Raptor.

I know the Raptor wont be a 10 sec vehicle, so what are the recommended mods? Looking for advice on a CAI, tuner, and catback.

I'm happy with the truck as it sits, but I know me and I will need more HP soon.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will get very minimal horsepower increases with CAI/exhaust mods. Typically, all either or both together can manage is move one or at most two horsepower up or down the power band. You will realized NO mpg increases from a CAI or exhaust cat back.

I think that a well engineered tune is much more likely to produce measurable horsepower increases, but you will see a reduction in mpg. The energy has to come from somewhere, and the horsepower gains will be modest.

But before you spend your money, consider that your Raptor is not a trophy truck. It's not even a race truck. It's a damn fine pre-runner, and for that use you won't need and very probably won't be able to make profitable use of more horsepower than you already have.

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To start, get a Pedal Commander. No HP gain, but it increases the throttle response which was my biggest performance complaint that a CAI, tuner, and exhaust didn't resolve. It has several settings so you can dial it in to your liking.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will get very minimal horsepower increases with CAI/exhaust mods. Typically, all either or both together can manage is move one or at most two horsepower up or down the power band. You will realized NO mpg increases from a CAI or exhaust cat back.

I think that a well engineered tune is much more likely to produce measurable horsepower increases, but you will see a reduction in mpg. The energy has to come from somewhere, and the horsepower gains will be modest.

But before you spend your money, consider that your Raptor is not a trophy truck. It's not even a race truck. It's a damn fine pre-runner, and for that use you won't need and very probably won't be able to make profitable use of more horsepower than you already have.

Exactly, you will run out of suspension before you run out of horsepower.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor in its pure factory stock form is pretty anemic , can not get out of its own way.

CAI, Pedal Commander (a must), an SVC or 5 Star Tune (a must), cut of the resonator, and any cat back to your liking will wake it up big time…You will be surprised with the new feather like acceleration and over all performance.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I installed an AIRAID CAI because I went to the Ford Parts web site and looked at the part numbers of the air filter, air box, intake horn, and intake hose for every Ford truck of my truck's vintage (2011). I discovered that the part numbers are all the same. Every naturally aspirated Ford truck (one or two changes for the Ecoboost models) all use the same intake parts from the smallest NA V6 to the big 6.2L V8. I figured that was probably fine for everyday driving around town at normal throttle openings, but would probably choke the 6.2L at wide open throttle when passing, hauling, towing, or blasting off road. I gained some throttle response and possibly gained minor HP at wide open throttle, but of course no difference in every day driving around town.

I've had my Raptor for nearly 73,000 miles and 6 years. I can assure you that the SVT Raptors (can't speak for the Ford Performance models after Ford stupidly disbanded SVT) were very well sorted out for their intended purpose. To make serious/dyno-measurable horsepower gains you're going to have to spend a pile of money. And if you do, be advised that your driveshaft is made out of surprisingly thin walled aluminum tubing. (hint)

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I installed an AIRAID CAI because I went to the Ford Parts web site and looked at the part numbers of the air filter, air box, intake horn, and intake hose for every Ford truck of my truck's vintage (2011). I discovered that the part numbers are all the same. Every naturally aspirated Ford truck (one or two changes for the Ecoboost models) all use the same intake parts from the smallest NA V6 to the big 6.2L V8. I figured that was probably fine for everyday driving around town at normal throttle openings, but would probably choke the 6.2L at wide open throttle when passing, hauling, towing, or blasting off road. I gained some throttle response and possibly gained minor HP at wide open throttle, but of course no difference in every day driving around town.

I've had my Raptor for nearly 73,000 miles and 6 years. I can assure you that the SVT Raptors (can't speak for the Ford Performance models after Ford stupidly disbanded SVT) were very well sorted out for their intended purpose. To make serious/dyno-measurable horsepower gains you're going to have to spend a pile of money. And if you do, be advised that your driveshaft is made out of surprisingly thin walled aluminum tubing. (hint)

Just CAI alone would do shit, you need to combine it with tune, exhaust and pedal commander. IT WILL dramatically change your truck performance. With Sport PLus +2 it will give you a whiplash. Your gas mileage would be in high 10s, thats what i have been getting in Sport+2 and with all of the above….
As a matter of fact when i sold my 2011 Scab and bought the current 2013 Screw it was all stock. So unexciting and boring to drive. I could not transfer all of my stuff fast enough, just got the tune from SVC, v4 newest version and it sealed the deal. This truck is an awesome performer and will give a good run for your money.

So for $1000 Corsa Extreme Cat back $400 AirRaid Intake, delete resonator and install exhaust $150, SCT Tuner $250 and tune $150 SVC, $265 Pedal commander(plug and play) for about $2200 -$2300 you are done.
I would not change headers since there were posts regarding problems with high flow catalytic converters, check engine lights, low end torque etc...

Last edited: