Help! engine trouble shooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 6.2 with the volant CAI, 5 star tuner on 87 performance, and a mbrp turndown,

I went to start my truck and it fired up fine and then just died twice.

fired it up again and it sat there and sputtered and barely idled.

then i drove it a few miles and tried to do the same thing and it would barely idle.

i reprogrammed back to stock and it seems to be running ok for now, kinda idleing real low and sputtering? idle starts at 1000 and drops to 500 then jumps up and down.

anybody know where to start on this one.

after it warmed up i went around driving it pretty hard and it seemed to idle ok

todays weather is 65 and raining. last night it was about the same weather

cbs001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had same issue with my tune after having it installed over a year, went back to stock and after few days went back to normal.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a 6.2 with the volant CAI, 5 star tuner on 87 performance, and a mbrp turndown,

I went to start my truck and it fired up fine and then just died twice.

fired it up again and it sat there and sputtered and barely idled.

then i drove it a few miles and tried to do the same thing and it would barely idle.

i reprogrammed back to stock and it seems to be running ok for now, kinda idleing real low and sputtering? idle starts at 1000 and drops to 500 then jumps up and down.

anybody know where to start on this one.

after it warmed up i went around driving it pretty hard and it seemed to idle ok

todays weather is 65 and raining. last night it was about the same weather

Something get wet? Check engine light? Did you have any trouble codes when you hooked up your tuner?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you have stock navigation you can view diagnostic code from navigation system..

Start truck
Press 3 and 6 at same time on navigation
Exit walk mode
View DTC

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had same issue with my tune after having it installed over a year, went back to stock and after few days went back to normal.

I would get Mike to send you new tunes...maybe the 87 tune is not really the 87 tune...so if you are running 87 octane on a 93 performance tune that would cause issues, but don't think it would cause in the the reverse case...

Strange....

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might have un-metered air getting by.. if not do you know how to reset the KAM? if so try that and go through the idle learn process

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've heard (true or not?), that if you overfill your gas tank it can cause symptons like this, but goes away after a few miles. Just trying to rule out obvious stuff.

OP
OP
jeff

jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your canister purge valve ticking?

Mine was doing the same thing.. It was picking up crap from intake, the other line attached to intake tube from pvc valve.

Here is the post to replace it...
TSB 11-1-5 Canister Purge Valve - Page 2 - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Squatting dog my truck has a really loud tick, almost sounds like injectors ticking. it gets even louder after i drive it real hard or punch it a few times. is this ok to drive for a few days until the rain clears up?

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Something get wet? Check engine light? Did you have any trouble codes when you hooked up your tuner?

No engine light and under hood was completely dry. no codes popped up when i plugged it in. i never ran an engine check tho because I was at a shopping center trying to figure it out real fast.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

You might have un-metered air getting by.. if not do you know how to reset the KAM? if so try that and go through the idle learn process

i do not know how to reset KAM but if it keeps it up or does this again i will persue this

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

I've heard (true or not?), that if you overfill your gas tank it can cause symptons like this, but goes away after a few miles. Just trying to rule out obvious stuff.

my tank has a little over 1/4 tank in it but i have overfilled/topped it off before

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Squatting dog my truck has a really loud tick, almost sounds like injectors ticking. it gets even louder after i drive it real hard or punch it a few times. is this ok to drive for a few days until the rain clears up?

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

No engine light and under hood was completely dry. no codes popped up when i plugged it in. i never ran an engine check tho because I was at a shopping center trying to figure it out real fast.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

i do not know how to reset KAM but if it keeps it up or does this again i will persue this

Ill post ya what to do... And along with the canister purge is can be a problem, many have seen it do funny things...