Hellion Turbo kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

lbrewster4

Reaction score
That link doesn't work. I saw where Moster Stroke has his tuned perfectly it looks like and i would love some feedback from him, but it is very disappointing that they make a quality kit and just drop the ball on the tuning side of things. And the burnt truck might have been the fault of the installer or a parts failure.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure where your operating and the temps your running it in . But my experience with Roots blowers is they create a bunch of heat and if running extended periods of time you loose HP and TRQ . On my Mustang I run a 2.6L kennebell and if towed to track its repeatable times between runs , If I drive to track it is way hot and takes hours to cool down to make consistent runs. I am looking into options and was looking to turbo mine as well and hadn't found a kit that was worth while and I am actually looking at the Procharger kit now they produce less heat and are easy to cool down with a **** shot or small N2o if needed . As the Roots doesn't really help much . The plus to the Roots is instantaneous Trq and HP which can be bad off roading sometimes , and the pocharger builds the HP/Trq over the RPM so your not spinning so much in the dirt/mud .My .02 check out the procharger

Technology keeps going forward my friend.

I'm sure you have been through all the Mustang Forums.
Why don't you look through some of the new Whippled Mustang threads.

A Whipple is not a root blower first off.
It's a very efficient twin screw with a extra large intercooler under the blower.
And the large HD HE with twin fans and your good to go.

And there are quite a few Whippled Raptor running a **** kit in the hot southern parts of the US. And it works very well.
I would be running a **** kit myself but the cost and extra work doesn't seem worth it to me for the month I could use it as a daily driver.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

HAhahaha, you beat me to it. LOL

Twin Screws still generate a good bit of heat. Do a wide open throttle run and you can see your charge air temps climb past 150° on a summer day. He may have used the wrong terminology, but his point still stands. Blowers, of all kinds, are very susceptible to heat soak. I've run all three - Whipple 2.3L on my 05 Mustang, Ported Eaton on my Lightning, and a 2.2L Kenne Bell (Twin Screw) on my Cobra. ALL of them had a large intercooler underneath the blower. Even the stock blower from Ford had it.

**** kit is one way to combat it - as you mentioned. Another way, which was semi popular with the 03-04 Cobra guys and the Lightning guys was the Killer Chiller. It's relatively expensive - and you sacrifice some interior a/c cooling - but you can keep your intercooler temps around 40° in the dead of summer. I have no affiliation with the Killer Chiller - just remember it from my days on the mustang forums and the pretty decent reviews it received.

Kincaid Performance, Inc.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed, all I was pointing out is that, the Whipple is the most efficient when it comes to generating heat.
I even posted a video of a highway run to dead stop traffic and Whipple's HD HE with fans does a pretty decent job of getting the temp down close to ambient temp.
If I was able to maintain 30 40 mph it would cooled down right away and would be at ambient, also I don't have the new extra large reservoir tank that holds an extra gallon.

Also keep in mind hot air is less dense than cold, I see roughly a 35+ HP sway from a 40 degree day to a 95 degree day.
My dyno run done was in afternoon and it was 76 degrees out and it was the third run in less then a hour, so for me 560 rwhp is pretty good.

The Killer Chiller is a one trick pony, and it can't keep the intercooler fluid that cold if you actually used it hard.
I did research on that three years ago, watched a whole bunch of videos, forum searches.
What I find with the Killer Chiller is that, when idling it works like they claim.
But if you drive hard it becomes overwhelmed.
Then add the fact that the compressor needs 15 to 25 HP just to run it kind of kills the gain you get running it.
Also add the fact that condenser coil is throwing all that heat at the radiator, PS cooler, oil cooler and raises the over all temp of the radiator that now your transmission cannot cool down at all!!!

**** is the way to go!!! It does two things cools down the air entering the SC and helps cool down the intercooler and compressor. It's a win win.
But depending how much HP you want all the time, this gets expensive and finding where to place the tank and the size of the tank determines how offen your going to fill it up.

Last edited:

BeansGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twin Screws still generate a good bit of heat. Do a wide open throttle run and you can see your charge air temps climb past 150° on a summer day. He may have used the wrong terminology, but his point still stands. Blowers, of all kinds, are very susceptible to heat soak. I've run all three - Whipple 2.3L on my 05 Mustang, Ported Eaton on my Lightning, and a 2.2L Kenne Bell (Twin Screw) on my Cobra. ALL of them had a large intercooler underneath the blower. Even the stock blower from Ford had it.

**** kit is one way to combat it - as you mentioned. Another way, which was semi popular with the 03-04 Cobra guys and the Lightning guys was the Killer Chiller. It's relatively expensive - and you sacrifice some interior a/c cooling - but you can keep your intercooler temps around 40° in the dead of summer. I have no affiliation with the Killer Chiller - just remember it from my days on the mustang forums and the pretty decent reviews it received.

Kincaid Performance, Inc.

As already discussed yes I too have a big H/E with fans and a big intercooler under the KB . It still doesn't stop heat soak and like you said you see the power drop on hotter days , it isn't rocket science here as we all agree heat build up robs power and my point to this whole thing is that the Pro-charger creates less heat . That is proven on cars all the time and it is more user friendly to service and install/work on or around then any top mounted blower. Also the ease of Air to air and installing a **** kit on top of it to cool it down is much easier then that of any top mount .

It is a fact the computer will pull timing with the rise of air temps and you loose power . the top mount blower get so hot as to cook eggs on them . My buddy has a procharged Mustang and the same drive side by side his head unit is no where near the temp of mine. So which one will have cooler air temps?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't have a heat build up problem like your getting with the roots type KB SC.
I was pointing out that hot air is less dense than cold air thus the boost will be lower with hot air.

Darthyota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a heat build up problem like your getting with the roots type KB SC.
I was pointing out that hot air is less dense than cold air thus the boost will be lower with hot air.

kenne bells like whipples are twin screws

Blu808

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a customer install their new Camaro system. His car caught on fire during the 5 mile drive to our shop for tuning. We ended up removing the system and installing another brand. Upon speaking with Hellion, they seemed to be very complacent and not worried about thermal barriers and safety. I'm surprised nobody has died from their products.