Has anyone actually installed the Pro-Charger yet? If so, how does it perform?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outside of a few video's from various shops, has anyone actually put this thing to the test yet? I'm taking my Raptor down to Terlingua Texas/Big Bend National Park in April (and June, July, Sept and Oct) where I have all intentions of getting sideways & airborne with my truck. I actually spend a good amount of time down there, so I'm curious as to how the air/air cooling system works in the desert heat. I run my cars down there all year around, but they are all liquid cooled.

kglesq

Droid's Brother
Reaction score
Outside of a few video's from various shops, has anyone actually put this thing to the test yet? I'm taking my Raptor down to Terlingua Texas/Big Bend National Park in April (and June, July, Sept and Oct) where I have all intentions of getting sideways & airborne with my truck. I actually spend a good amount of time down there, so I'm curious as to how the air/air cooling system works in the desert heat. I run my cars down there all year around, but they are all liquid cooled.

While I have no experience with the Procharger per se, I believe that air/air aftercoolers like those used in the Procharger systems are more effective at lowering charge-air temperature than the air/water systems used by Magnacharger, Whipple, etc.

Because the roots-type blowers sit in the valley of the motor, air/water is the only practical option, and I believe that is why they go with the air/water system. Conversely, the centrifugal blower employed by Procharger sits out on the accessory drive, and allows for a pretty easy path to pipe the charge-air through an air/air cooler.

There are folks here that have far more experience with forced-induction than I, so hopefully they'll chime in and confirm or deny my thoughts.

OP
OP
SPRSNK

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I have no experience with the Procharger per se, I believe that air/air aftercoolers like those used in the Procharger systems are more effective at lowering charge-air temperature than the air/water systems used by Magnacharger, Whipple, etc.

Because the roots-type blowers sit in the valley of the motor, air/water is the only practical option, and I believe that is why they go with the air/water system. Conversely, the centrifugal blower employed by Procharger sits out on the accessory drive, and allows for a pretty easy path to pipe the charge-air through an air/air cooler.

There are folks here that have far more experience with forced-induction than I, so hopefully they'll chime in and confirm or deny my thoughts.

This is part of my questioning. My Paxton centrifugal blower that is on my V6 runs air to water and that specific Paxton setup sucks ass.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
The air/water I/C's for the Whipple/Roots style blowers have two heat exchangers. The first is right below the blower inside the intake manifold. The second is a large radiator typically mounted in front of behind the engines radiator. The water cooled I/C system is a stand alone cooling system not tied to the engine cooling system. It has an electric pump to circulate the water and a separate resivior. They work exceptionally well.

Air/air systems are much simpler but also very effective.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I'm taking my Raptor down to Terlingua Texas/Big Bend National Park in April (and June, July, Sept and Oct) where I have all intentions of getting sideways & airborne with my truck. I actually spend a good amount of time down there, so I'm curious as to how the air/air cooling system works in the desert heat.

I am pretty sure the max speed inside Big Bend NP is 45 mph and a lot of the improved roads are 25 mph. Is there an area in Terlingua to go off-roading outside of the NP?

OP
OP
SPRSNK

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the max speed inside Big Bend NP is 45 mph and a lot of the improved roads are 25 mph. Is there an area in Terlingua to go off-roading outside of the NP?

My friends work in the park :naughty: Kind of hard to argue with one of the main guys in the park and his wife is a fire fighter in the park. But yes, you are correct on the speed limits in the park. There are quite a few back roads between Terlingua and the park where you can completely let loose. Same with going through Terlingua Ranch, but if you get caught, you better be a local or at least a part timer like I am. There are also some serious 4x4 trails in the park to climb as I am told.