GEN 1 Hard gear changes.... (Roush Raptor)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have about 47k miles on my 2014 Roush Raptor, bought it a few months ago. I love it but when the transmission changes from 1-2 or 2-3 under wide open throttle the change is so harsh, literally bangs into the next gear. Doesn't feel right.

My truck is factory Roush so I guess it has the standard Roush tune.

What could the problem be? Transmission clutch pack worn? Solenoids?

D

Deleted member 17706

I have about 47k miles on my 2014 Roush Raptor, bought it a few months ago. I love it but when the transmission changes from 1-2 or 2-3 under wide open throttle the change is so harsh, literally bangs into the next gear. Doesn't feel right.

The stock Roush tune is harsh, so I would look into getting a tune from JDM (or someone similar). The tune may not be the problem, but it will help the overall drive of the vehicle.

Also, I would recommend getting a full transmission flush with a new transmission filter. I am sure that the transmission needs a flush being 4 years old. I would tell the dealer when you have the flush done that you are having hard shifts where they have it on record. If the flush and tune does not help the problem, then the dealership will need to do more investigating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I had the same problem with my first tune, 2-3 would hit so hard it would lock my seatbelt. hit the tuner back up and they fixed it.

Just need a retune, I went with 5star

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We can certainly help with the shifting issues from Roush and give the truck better throttle response, fuel economy, and about 50 HP!! Our custom tune has been used and proven on hundreds of Roush Supercharged Raptors and our customers always compliment the transmission tuning. That makes or breaks a good custom tune!

Give us a call sometime if you need any assistance 732-780-0770

Thanks!

Jim D'Amore III
JDM Engineering
732-780-0770

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We can certainly help with the shifting issues from Roush and give the truck better throttle response, fuel economy, and about 50 HP!! Our custom tune has been used and proven on hundreds of Roush Supercharged Raptors and our customers always compliment the transmission tuning. That makes or breaks a good custom tune!

Give us a call sometime if you need any assistance 732-780-0770

Thanks!

Jim D'Amore III
JDM Engineering
732-780-0770

I hate to say it, but I have an aftermarket Roush with the JDM tune. My third gear bangs hard - ESPECIALLY in tow mode while towing. The worst is downhill from 2-3. It makes me kinda scared to use it because it can be so bad.

I've flushed my tranny at the dealer. I've also replaced the pan with an AFE pan and replaced the fluid (not a full flush, but this was not long after the dealer flush) as well as filled up the extra. The problem hasn't changed.

Think this could somehow be addressed? I worry something is going to blow up every time.

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I have an aftermarket Roush with the JDM tune. My third gear bangs hard - ESPECIALLY in tow mode while towing. The worst is downhill from 2-3. It makes me kinda scared to use it because it can be so bad.

I've flushed my tranny at the dealer. I've also replaced the pan with an AFE pan and replaced the fluid (not a full flush, but this was not long after the dealer flush) as well as filled up the extra. The problem hasn't changed.

Think this could somehow be addressed? I worry something is going to blow up every time.

Most definitely we can make an adjustment and what you're likely experiencing is converter lock up coming in on the 3rd gear shift. When in tow haul mode it changes the load values which will increase the shift pressure even more so. This isn't a bad thing, actually it's promoting less slip and heat build up. When towing (or in tow haul mode) the PCM will sense load changes or at least anticipate them and change the values from what we set in normal driving mode.

Give us a call, we can lessen the shift firmness for you. Honestly everyone has a different preference and we can work with you. Ultimately what we give as our standard transmission files is all done to prolong the life and performance of the transmission and engine.

JimIII

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Following up on my earlier post. I had a conversation with JDM and it sounds like what I'm experiencing is not only normal, but intentional as it promotes the longevity of the tranny. They knew exactly what was going on and explained why. I'll just get used to it now that I know it's not only not hurting the tranny, but helping it.