Grinding sound on cold startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IamCanadian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There a thought, I am rethinking my issue but when shut off the heat/AC on the auto start it I believe the issue disappeared. I have also heard it when drive and turning on the AC compressor.

OP
OP
Geo_Tactical

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happens on mine whether I use auto start or not. Also happens whether AC is on or off. I thought it was some kind of tensioner engaging the first few times I heard it, but I don't even know if that's possible.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like alot of people are experiencing the same. Question is it doing any damage or just the norm?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since I bought my truck, on the first start of the day, about 2-3 seconds after ignition I hear sort of a grinding noise that lasts for just a second. Almost sounds like something is moving into position, but making noise as it does so. Since it's done this from day 1 I doubt it's a problem, but was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think it is?

Kevin

Owned and worked on cars since the 70's. I'm no expert, but have a good gut and always willing to give my $.02 to help.

I've heard an odd grinding sound from cars as the ABS system is loaded, balanced (or whatever it does technically).

If you had a turbo, I'd toss in the waste-gate actuating as well.

And, although I've heard my A/C clutch kick on, I've not heard it grind or squeal...and wouldn't tolerate that, if it did.

HTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
mine does this every once in a while. not often.
its something on the front of the motor. most likely its the AC compressor.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had it happen here and there especially when the truck sits for a few days and its cold. Very brief sound that goes away immediately. I believe it also happened on the 2011 Scab I had. May be, not sure, but with every big displacement motor the oil will drain all the way down, may be that has smth to do with it? Should not be a concern

OP
OP
Geo_Tactical

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on. I'll continue to not worry about it then. Thanks guys

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk