Grinding sound on cold startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since I bought my truck, on the first start of the day, about 2-3 seconds after ignition I hear sort of a grinding noise that lasts for just a second. Almost sounds like something is moving into position, but making noise as it does so. Since it's done this from day 1 I doubt it's a problem, but was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think it is?

Kevin

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since I bought my truck, on the first start of the day, about 2-3 seconds after ignition I hear sort of a grinding noise that lasts for just a second. Almost sounds like something is moving into position, but making noise as it does so. Since it's done this from day 1 I doubt it's a problem, but was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think it is?

Kevin
Mine does the same

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You guys think it's from the engine compartment? Or do you think it's the blend motors behind the dash?

IamCanadian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue. The dealer change the AC compressor but I believe that the clutch unit is still the same. If I started it with out the AC on the issue disappears.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has always done it. I've always thought it sounded like the starter. I think it only happens on auto-start, but I'm not positive.