Gen 1 coolant flowing sound when truck is turned off after Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my 2012 screws coolant changed and flushed at the dealer. Now every time I park my truck and turn it off, I can hear what sounds like water being poured behind the dash, or it sounds like someone is draining coolant from a hose near the firewall? Engine temp seems fine and there’s no leak on the ground. Any thoughts on what this is or why all the sudden I’m hearing it after having the flush done?

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BigGriff023,
Air in the cooling system/heater core. Park nose up on a steep hill, keep the overflow tank full of your favorite flavor of antifreeze, when the engine cools off open the radiator cap and top off, replace the cap tightly. No worries the air will work it's way out eventually...
Eddie

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditchplains is correct. When I installed my sc it was recommended to turn the heater on let the engine warm up to cycle the antifreeze through the whole system. With engine running I kept topping off as the air evacuated. Filled overflow tank to mark and haven’t had any issues since.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is not terribly surprising to me. I had the cooling system on my GEN1 flushed at the dealership last year, and they left the system a half gallon shy of full. The coolant is expensive, and I think the mechanics are instructed to scrimp.

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is not terribly surprising to me. I had the cooling system on my GEN1 flushed at the dealership last year, and they left the system a half gallon shy of full. The coolant is expensive, and I think the mechanics are instructed to scrimp.

I haven’t checked my radiator level yet, but the overflow tank is correctly filled. I’ll keep an eye on it and will be marching back to the dealership if they fail to put the correct amount back in.