Gear Recomendation Discussion for 37s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sigmoid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another option to address the problem. Before you go spending money on gears and labor, change the shift points in your tune. Ive changed mine to match my power band and it makes a lot of difference.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ran my newly installed 37s out in the desert yesterday and quickly noticed the severe lag after the 2-3 gear shift. Unacceptable. Now I know what my next mod is.

Looking for feedback and recommendations. Not sure on whether I want to go 4.56 or 4.88.

I don't care about mpg or top end speed. I mainly care about offroad performance but I am a little concerned about comfort for long road trips.

What ratio would you recommend and why?

What company/kit would you recommend for a '14 raptor?

Curious what tire you are running? The tire weight makes a big difference on the stock 4:10 gears. On my old Raptor I noticed a similar issue when I swapped to a 35x12.50x17 Toyo Open Country from the stock tires. They weighed 19lbs a tire more!!!

On my 14 with blower and JDM tune, I run the stock gear on a 37 KO2 just fine

chipw

Reaction score
Just another option to address the problem. Before you go spending money on gears and labor, change the shift points in your tune. Ive changed mine to match my power band and it makes a lot of difference.
I have the 5 star 93performance tune. It seems pretty good as far as shift points. I wouldnt know where to change them to. Any pointers?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sigmoid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not understanding your question, but if you're lagging after shifts from 2nd to 3rd, you might try remapping the the 2-3 shiftpoint to a higher rpm. It's a really simple tune change that your tuner can make for you.

One thing you could do is to run it in "Tow/Haul" mode. Basically that's what tow/haul mode does, it just remaps the shiftpoints. (it might remap the throttle response a little also...not certain). You could run it in that mode and see if you like it. Some guys run in tow/haul all the time because it make the truck feel stronger.

I'm running 37's and personally I don't think Tow/Haul mode quite has the right shiftpoints...although its better than stock. What you need to do is drive it and note when you would like it to shift (up or down)... note the rpm and the gear.... and then get your tune customized to shift that way.

Theortically, you could have a shift map customized for Tow/Haul mode, and another customized for regular mode.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something, but I didn't see any thing about the "sweet spot" for these engines. Most engines have a range where the motor feels like it wants to run. Many get their best mileage in that range. I did see one member discuss Ford likes to keep the RPM above 1900 RPM to keep the turbos spooled up.
I am still waiting for delivery, so I have been trying to get my head around this motor.
With our tripple overdrive transmission IMHO the 4.10 gears are too tall.
I hear some are locking out the overdrive, while others are running tow/haul mode to keep the RPM up on the motor.

I would think that gearing to 4.88 would have very little to do with your mileage. Using your right foot to go faster will have your mileage going down, down, down. With the engine in the sweet spot, I tend to use mine.

Producing more power or requiring more power with heaver wheels, tires, cargo will reduce mileage.

If the ring and pinion has more drag then it would reduce mileage.

Anyone who has drived a ECO2.7 with 3.73 gears know how peppy they are for that small of an engine. I did a quick calculation and to have the same ratio with 35" tire, the ratio would need to be 4.30. I think that means the Raptor should have come with at least 4.30 gears and 4.56 or 4.88 would have been better. Think of all the axles, driveshafts....ect we could break.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stay on 4.10 and add a blower... works mint!

Seriously though.. You are probably good on 4.56.
What tire are you running, because weight can make the biggest difference. When I went from a 35 Toyo to a 37 K02 i saved close to 25lbs per tire!!! that made the biggest seat of the pants improvement.
Also, a good tune that has revised shift points will also help. I run a tune from JDM @JimIII@JDM

Last edited:

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something, but I didn't see any thing about the "sweet spot" for these engines. Most engines have a range where the motor feels like it wants to run. Many get their best mileage in that range. I did see one member discuss Ford likes to keep the RPM above 1900 RPM to keep the turbos spooled up.
I am still waiting for delivery, so I have been trying to get my head around this motor.
With our tripple overdrive transmission IMHO the 4.10 gears are too tall.
I hear some are locking out the overdrive, while others are running tow/haul mode to keep the RPM up on the motor.

I would think that gearing to 4.88 would have very little to do with your mileage. Using your right foot to go faster will have your mileage going down, down, down. With the engine in the sweet spot, I tend to use mine.

Producing more power or requiring more power with heaver wheels, tires, cargo will reduce mileage.

If the ring and pinion has more drag then it would reduce mileage.

Anyone who has drived a ECO2.7 with 3.73 gears know how peppy they are for that small of an engine. I did a quick calculation and to have the same ratio with 35" tire, the ratio would need to be 4.30. I think that means the Raptor should have come with at least 4.30 gears and 4.56 or 4.88 would have been better. Think of all the axles, driveshafts....ect we could break.

I think the OP posted this in the Gen 1 forum, so I'm assuming he is talking about the 6.2 with the 6R80 not the EcoBoost Twin Turbo...

Reaction score
I have 4:88's in my Roush charged Raptor and with my driving style being about halfway aggressive, I run right around 10mpg with 37's. If I stay in it getting off the line all the time, I have reduced that to 9mpg. But I can also drive like I am driving miss daisy and get right at 12mpg. So depending on driving style, with 5:13's, I would think you would be somewhere between 8-10mpg average.

I am an authorized dealer for Yukon gear, let me know if I can help with a quote on a full package at a discount when you're ready.

Do you have any other supporting mods on it besides 4.88 and the Roush blower? I have the Stage 2 Roush Package w/SW LT w/cats and full SW catback and 65mm FRP TB with 5* 91 octane tune. On 35’s I get 11.8

Reaction score
Hi!
I have Ford Raptor SVT 2013 4 WD. I would like to change gear ratio from stock to 4.88 because i have 37 tires. Can i change gear ration ( ring and pinion ) only in rear axel or i need also do it in front to avoid problems in drivetrain?