Gear Recomendation Discussion for 37s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
factive

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just starting to look into options for getting a better gearing for 37" tires and was wondering if anyone has already a clear answer on it?

4.88 or 5.13?

My main priority is rid of that terrible power hole you have changing from 2nd to 3rd gear. I imagine 5.13 is much funner - but I am also a bit worrid of taking too big of a hit mpg -wise.

yukongear only list 4.56 as on option for '11 and up Raptors - but I hope this is a mistake

That 2nd to 3rd shift is the exact same reason I got my 4.88 gears. Although it's a huge huge improvement, I gotta be honest it's still leaves a little to be desired when off roading. It's fine on the street but I also drive my raptor like a grandma on streets.

MPG I didn't notice much difference but that's also something I don't pay attention to. It definitely wasn't a big hit though. My guess is probably 1mpg overall.

I went with G2 gears purchased from SDHQ.

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 2nd to 3rd shift is the exact same reason I got my 4.88 gears. Although it's a huge huge improvement, I gotta be honest it's still leaves a little to be desired when off roading. It's fine on the street but I also drive my raptor like a grandma on streets.

MPG I didn't notice much difference but that's also something I don't pay attention to. It definitely wasn't a big hit though. My guess is probably 1mpg overall.

I went with G2 gears purchased from SDHQ.

Thanks so much for the feedback! Very interesting to read that you still have some wants with 4.88!
I am currently on stock tires and even here it bothers me tremendously! When I was on 37s the shift from second to third always freaked me out - when on the edge....

I am leaning towards 5.13 but now reading about potentially introducing a weaker link got me a bit worried.

How is 4wd LOW with the 4.88 in the rocks? I do a lot of rockcrawling type trails as well and often need LOW for decending. With 37s 4low was for sure too long - how is it with the 4.88s and 37s?

I drive like a grandma on the street as well - however I am mostly 40% offroad / 20% city / 40% cruising at 80++mph on I15...here was the only concern about mpg - but a ~500rpm increase won' be too bad in terms of mpg.

Last edited:

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a member that was on 37s that said he picked up some mpg when re gearing, anyone confirm?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a member that was on 37s that said he picked up some mpg when re gearing, anyone confirm?

I would think that this could only be possible in city driving - on the highway higher rpm and heavier wheel/tires should for sure give a hit in terms of mpg.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He already had the wheels and tires, the gears were the addition, said he recouped a little of what he lost. Oh, with a tune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JayLV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the feedback! Very interesting to read that you still have some wants with 4.88!
I am currently on stock tires and even here it bothers me tremendously! When I was on 37s the shift from second to third always freaked me out - when on the edge....

I drive like a grandma on the street as well - however I am mostly 40% offroad / 20% city / 40% cruising at 80++mph on I15...here was the only concern about mpg - but a ~500rpm increase won' be too bad in terms of mpg.

Did you have a tune? If so which one?

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big question is, what has to be done to the transmission mapping to compensate for these gear changes?

All you should have to do is input the new ratio into the tune and it will shift normally.

Only other thing would be shft points and firmness as desired.

Scrap man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 37's and I ran without gears for about 6 months then I went with4.56's and I have to say I love them. I have the punch back down low and it's not to much of the highway. I have a tune, headers, and throttle body on the truck so it's not some crazy blown 700 hp beast and it does fine. Just my opinion if you go with 4.88's first gear will be a blur and second gear I would think be one also but I could be wrong.