Gear Recomendation Discussion for 37s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought because of the limited slip in the front of the new ones that you couldn't do gear swaps?

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lol. Tell that to ISFast with his 5.16 geared daily driver.

HAHA Yeah i drive 40 miles every day in mine to go to work and take it on weekend trips all the time. The gears aren't the issue is those BIG ASS Mud Grapplers putting people to sleep.

So this link below may help a few people about gears for the raptors. There are a few things i've learned from another member who is putting 5:13s in his 2013.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f52/...s-gears-lockers-diff-covers-front-rear-20820/

So I have over 20K miles on my Yukon 5:13s front and rear. No issues at all and 2 TRR. So pinion being smaller in a 5:13 yes, but setting the gears up is very important. Most people set the gears up to look good with very little load. The problem with that is when you put a ton of stress on it they slip out a bit and then aren't on the meat of the gear tooth and break them off. Lets put it this way I can break the 37s loose on pavement without much issues and not one complain. Now don't go and get some cheap ass gears get the good stuff like Yukon. I know the other member had to get Nitro gears because Yukon didn't make them for the new rear end change from 2010 to 2011+.

I have zero gear noise which is awesome and lets just say gears make these trucks a rocket ship to the speed limit. I don't have a lot of places offroad to run faster than that around here so my thing was to shit and get on the low end and it does that. I did run the 35s and the 5:13s while the fenders and tires were getting swapped over and talk about hard to keep the right foot under control.

So long story short even with 5:13s in 6th at red line you could go 186 MPH so gears won't be the limit. I figured if i'm going to spend the money to switch it over might as well go big and use my gears to move the pig down the road.

Mike at 5Star got me set up for speedo and mapping the tranny. PA said Ford could it at the dealership incase you don't want to run a tune, but im sure the mapping won't be as good. I plan on getting this done this month.

So most people who have broke rear ends weren't the gears, but the axles. Now not saying you can't but looks like the weak link is the axle not so much the gears.

customtruckshop

LGE-CTS Motorsports
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we do gears at our shop we charge $500 per diff labor+parts so you are usually around $2,000. Just to give you an idea. We have a chart at our work that I can post on Monday so you can see the difference about the gears.

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I run 488 with 37s. Its a little overgeared on the highway but I like the extra gearing down low. 456 will turn another 150 rpms at 60- 488 is approx 325. If your looking to keep highway milage go 456. At 80 my truck turns 2500. 2011 and up you need a conversion pinion bearing for the rear to run aftermarket gears. We do a lot of these- pricing is 2500 to 3000.

OP
OP
factive

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Going forward with this mod, 4.88 it is.

Next question- what manufacturer for a '14 rap?

Last edited:

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
G2 gear is the only one Im aware of that makes them for the 9.75- they are for 2009 and down when you look them up and you need a conversion bearing/race for the pinion to use them in the 2011 and up. the pinion shaft is much bigger in the 2011 and up.

G & P Racing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
X2 on the G2 gears. Ran the 4:88's w 37's at both the NORRA 500 and the recent 1000 without gear issues. Beat on them without mercy, no issues. We got them installed at Randy's Ring and Pinion in WA. These are the Yukon guys and they do a lot of Ultra 4's and other trick stuff. They do it right.

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4.88 or 5.13 ratio?

Just starting to look into options for getting a better gearing for 37" tires and was wondering if anyone has already a clear answer on it?

4.88 or 5.13?

My main priority is rid of that terrible power hole you have changing from 2nd to 3rd gear. I imagine 5.13 is much funner - but I am also a bit worrid of taking too big of a hit mpg -wise.

yukongear only list 4.56 as on option for '11 and up Raptors - but I hope this is a mistake

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts