Gear Recomendation Discussion for 37s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran my newly installed 37s out in the desert yesterday and quickly noticed the severe lag after the 2-3 gear shift. Unacceptable. Now I know what my next mod is.

Looking for feedback and recommendations. Not sure on whether I want to go 4.56 or 4.88.

I don't care about mpg or top end speed. I mainly care about offroad performance but I am a little concerned about comfort for long road trips.

What ratio would you recommend and why?

What company/kit would you recommend for a '14 raptor?

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say 4.56's. Coupled with 37's that is still geared a little lower then stock 4.10's and 35's. IMO, 4.88's may be a little to low for something that is still a daily driver.

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may want to check price in labor and price of gears. My mechanic said at least 3 grand to do it. With the labor to take the front end apart

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Searched but can't find a legit gear ratio chart for a raptor. Does anyone have one, or have the patience to make one? I found an F150 gear ratio chart, not sure if their gears are the same as ours though?

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the one I found said 4.88 or 5.13 for a daily driver with 37's. A lot of people report getting results with gears more on the performance side. 5.29 or 5.38 would be more on the performance side. Looks like 4.56 or 4.88 would be pretty sweet with stock tire size.

The big question is, what has to be done to the transmission mapping to compensate for these gear changes?

Intricate

Reaction score
One thing to consider is the larger the gear ratio the less teeth are in contact between ring and pinion due to our smaller pinion on the 9.75". With larger differential sizes the larger the pinion at the same ratio. This is why 1 ton and bigger get larger differentials 10" and bigger. Larger the ratio, smaller the pinion=greater chance of breakage. I ran into this problem when I used to lift my F150 and run on 37's turned by a forced inducted motor. The gear shop i dealt with recommended no higher than 4.56's. If you are driving hard it might be something to consider. Also those who have re-geared 4.88 or higher will better know real world realities.