Ford Raptor Magnetic Drain Plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I have been meaning to do a writeup for a long time now so here it is:

I purchased a Magnetic Drain Plug from DRAINPLUGMAGNETS.COM and have been using it for 1500 miles with no issues. See below for details and pics.

When you order you get one plug with 3 aluminum crush washers. You also get a gauge in which you can measure the stock plug against the plug you received to make sure proper fitment. I can tell you that the magnetic plug I received was identical to the stock plug with 3 exceptions:

- the stock plug has a bigger washer(head) when compared to the magnetic plug
- the magnetic plug does not have that extra piece at the end which serves no purpose whatsoever in the stock plug. If you were to cut off the end of the stock plug then it would be the same length as the magnetic plug
- The socket head is smaller on the magnetic plug which would lead you to think that the bolt size is different BUT IT IS NOT. I hope this makes sense.

A raptor takes this size >> m14x1.5x16 >> just click on the link and do a control-F (find) m14x1.5x16.

BTW .. the magnet is super strong. When I tried to screw it on I had a difficult time as the magnet kept wanting to get sucked in the pan instead of going straight into the hole. I can totally see someone trying to install this plug quick and because of the magnetism it will cross thread because it was not straight in the hole. You have been warned!

I have more to add but I just have too much work right now. So I will come back and edit this.

Raptor-DrainPlug1.jpg

Raptor-DrainPlug2.jpg

Raptor-DrainPlug3.jpg

Raptor-DrainPlug5.jpg

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Retract: (The stock plug is magnetic at the tip already, that's why it has the extra non thread part.
Try it on some light metal filings or what ever you can find.
I found out because I threw the bolt on my work bench and it caught some shavings from modifying the bracket for my catch can.
) Retract

I want to apologize once more, especially to the OP Raptor911 "the stock bolt is not magnetic"

I was doing two oil changes that day and it was my wife's 2006 Tahoe's bolt that is magnetic at the tip.
I did an oil change yesterday on the Raptor and took a magnet to try and increase the magnetism.
Only to find out the Raptor's stock bolt is non-magnetic Stainless Steel.

IMG_20140622_112608_874.jpg

Anyway,
I bet that's a Iridium magnet inserted in that bolt which is 10 times stronger than magnetized iron.
It's a nice bolt for sure but I wish they would have made more like the stock bolt with the O-ring.
I've over tighten too many oil pan bolts in my life time. I can see myself ******** this one up too. LOL

And is that an optical illusion? The threads do not look the same in the picture.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raptor911

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will let you know at the next oil change.

have you caught a bunch of crud with it?

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

The threads are the same. Before installing I measured the stock plug with the gauge they sent and then I measured the magnetic plug and both plugs are identical in thread pitch.

And is that an optical illusion? The threads do not look the same in the picture.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe you, and you wouldn't have posted if the pitch was different.
I should have been more specific, it's the depth and the sharpness of the threads that seem different.
It's the machining process that makes the two different, I'm sure.

It's good find. :)

Last edited:

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, is this more of an inspection tool than a preventative measure? I would imagine that the oil filter would keep the oil clean enough and if you have any significant metal shavings showing up in your oil pan then you've probably got more problems than a magnet can fix. I'm just trying to understand the purpose of this. Also, it isn't all that comforting that the head and flange looks noticeably less substantial than stock.

drtexas72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are scared about cross threading the bolt, you can achieve the same results by buying 4 one inch rare earth magnets and making a 2X2 square with them and placing the magnets on the dome of the oil filter. it will catch a whole lot more crud in the filter and you wouldn't have to try to take off the shavings from the tip of the bolt (since they would be caught on the inside of the filter.) If you ever want to see what got caught all you have to do is remove the magnets with a little oil left in the filter and turn the filter over. You will see the shimmer in the oil from all of the small metal particles that the magnet held inside the filter.