FI or NA? This is killing me!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

showerfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as some of you know, I'm less than a week away from a trip to the Dearborn Truck Plant to watch my new Raptor produced :chewie: obviously, i'm psyched, but i'm also freaking out because i'm running out of time to make this crucial decision! if i go with a SC, i'll go with Roush because it is quick and easy and warrantied and they have a good relationship with FoMoCo. But if i do that, i have to decide before the truck leaves the factory.

The other choice is to get my 6.2l built, and I would probably use Livernois because of their presence here and experience with the truck. Frankly, i think i'd prefer the NA option, because i won't have to listen to the SC whine all the time. But i'm having a helluva time figuring out what the bottom line costs would be, when i look at their site. and there are no big, easy packages with price tags and results attached. So i'm hoping some of you can help me out.

:big_banana_Dance:

and before someone tells me to ``use the search function,'' i can assure you i've done nothing else for the past month or two. i think i've read every post ever.

Last edited:

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not too many times will you hear someone tell you to use he search function. We're pretty laid back.

Personally if you have the money I'd get something done at livernois. I think you'll have a lot more options to get what you want out of it.

OP
OP
showerfan

showerfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tend to agree, i think. it just seems so opaque. i get why forced induction works, even though i don't know that much about engines -- it's so easy to understand! you push more air in, you can burn more fuel. more ammo, more fire, more power!

beyond that, as a relative internal-combustion illiterate, it's hard for me to understand why different camshafts or special valve springs could really make that much of a difference. not to mention the fact that i can't tell what i need for a full package or how much it costs...

metronyc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with Livernois , its the best spend money for SC upgrade . i wish i would have done it first place .

Magnum PI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was n/a for about a year before I wanted to go with a super charger. Ended up ordering the roush stage 2 and had it installed. Some people will tell you you can over drive it off road. Can't comment on that but will be testing truck at trr. In regards to the whine it's not bad. If you drive your daily commute there's no whine unless you hit boost. Which is nice to hear. If you go with whipple those sound awesome. A lot louder then roush my opinion only. Good luck on your decision.

OP
OP
showerfan

showerfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnum, what did you have done to your engine before going with the Roush? Not enough? Also, with all that power, what do you do to prevent wheel hop?

Kapolani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should get it built.

Then, later down the road, go FI.

I think that's the route I'm going.

I've owned many boosted cars. It's addicting. Always built the engine. Pay once, cry once.

Going to take my time this go around. See what the engine can do NA, first.

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i tend to agree, i think. it just seems so opaque. i get why forced induction works, even though i don't know that much about engines -- it's so easy to understand! you push more air in, you can burn more fuel. more ammo, more fire, more power!

beyond that, as a relative internal-combustion illiterate, it's hard for me to understand why different camshafts or special valve springs could really make that much of a difference. not to mention the fact that i can't tell what i need for a full package or how much it costs...

To put it simply, the upgraded cams, valve springs and rocker arms will allow the intake and exhaust valves to open wider and close faster. You're just making the air entrance and exhaust exits larger with more cam lift. The stronger springs make the valves close faster so at high RPMs the valves have time to close before opening again. More air, more gas, more power. Same principle, different execution. There's a whole lot more than that, but you get the point.

Magnum PI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor is not built it's bone stock and exhaust also. If you go with the stage 2 set up you can purchase the extended warranty for 3 years for an extra amount. It's about 2k more or less. Forgot since I didin't do it. Once again build the motor or not it all comes down to opinion and how you'll be using the truck. If you're going to drag race it and beat on it all the time then yes you should build it. For me it's a daily driver and I don't beat on it all the time. I like messing with the ricers once in a while so it's nice to have the extra power. My real test will come at trr but I'm hoping nothing will break. You can go with roush stage one less power but full warranty without having to pay extra. I have traction bars put on and that eliminated the wheel hop. I paid around 500 for them. I'm taking them of for the event and will be selling them soon since I heard they're not that great when you go off road. And to be honest I never lunch from a dead stop. Which ever rout you go you're truck is going to be tuned. You'll also feel a big difference with acceleration without hitting boost. Once agian traction bars are the way to go to eliminate wheel hop. If I'm not lazy I'll post some pics tomorrow. They're of my truck to give you example of how they look like or you can just google them. Most important question you should ask your self is how you're going to use the truck. What is the purpose? You're going to get a shit load of opinions here. Once you figure out the purpose you should get all the answers you're looking for.