Failed Smog Check IN TN - HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwaite09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i just went to the vehicle inspection garage for my yearly smog check and I failed?

The reason given is the OBD Inspection stating "Heated O2, O2, Cat". The tech asked if I had any work done recently, "no" has the battery been disconnected, "no" and asked if I have been "throwing codes, to which I replied "no". He then gave me a paper titled "When Readiness Monitors Are Not Ready", It has a list of things that could correct this issue but all related to the "drive cycle" and said I need to call Ford and ask them to walk me trough a "drive cycle test". WTH

In February this year I added a 89 performance tune from Chris/Mike 5star and it has been running great ever since. Could this be the issue?

NEVERMIND, I LOOKED UP AT THE STICKY

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The rear cat monitors must be turned off in your tune. Is your exhaust stock or do you have aftermarket catalytic converters, better yet are the cats removed?

Once you either get the monitors turned on in your tune or return back to the stock tune you will still need to go through a drive cycle to reset your monitors.

If you have high flow cats or no cats there is a good chance you will get a check engine code once you return the tune back to stock or turn the cat monitors on. The codes you would see are P0420 and P0430. These are catalyst inefficiency codes, basically telling you the cats are no longer working to factory standard. Well if you have deleted the cats or have high flow cats which allow for more air flow this will be your scenario. To prevent you from getting a check engine code we commonly use a set of 02 Non foulers to bypass this issue. The Non foulers pull the sensor out of the exhaust pipe some and shield the sensor from direct air flow. This keeps the catalyst readings in check and prevents any check engine code, while still allowing you to get your monitors ready. Then you can pass anytime after that!

Aren't State Inspections Great!?!

Last edited:

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i have tons of experience with this (CAI, headers, aftermarket cats, exahust and tune).

pull the tune off, (return to stock), then drive the truck for about 50 miles, highway, local roads etc, which will allow the system to get back to a state where you will pass. If you have your own OBD reader, you can plug that in and watch the codes drop off as you drive.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The rear cat monitors must be turned off in your tune. Is your exhaust stock or do you have aftermarket catalytic converters, better yet are the cats removed?

Once you either get the monitors turned on in your tune or return back to the stock tune you will still need to go through a drive cycle to reset your monitors.

If you have high flow cats or no cats there is a good chance you will get a check engine code once you return the tune back to stock or turn the cat monitors on. The codes you would see are P0420 and P0430. These are catalyst inefficiency codes, basically telling you the cats are no longer working to factory standard. Well if you have deleted the cats or have high flow cats which allow for more air flow this will be your scenario. To prevent you from getting a check engine code we commonly use a set of 02 Non foulers to bypass this issue. The Non foulers pull the sensor out of the exhaust pipe some and shield the sensor from direct air flow. This keeps the catalyst readings in check and prevents any check engine code, while still allowing you to get your monitors ready. Then you can pass anytime after that!

Aren't State Inspections Great!?!

Great info. What is the reason for, the tune(er), turning off the sensors on a vehicle with a stock exaust? I had to return to stock from my 5star over the summer, and I haven't reinstalled the tune because of this.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you added LT Headers.

You need to add rear O2 spacers and ask 5 Star for the rear O2s turned on.
Plenty of guys are doing this and passing with flying colors.
SVC and 5 Star do this all the time.

If you are still with stock exhaust then do as instructed by earlier posts.

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great info. What is the reason for, the tune(er), turning off the sensors on a vehicle with a stock exaust? I had to return to stock from my 5star over the summer, and I haven't reinstalled the tune because of this.

Some tuners will do this in the event you decide to remove the cats on your own or go with high flow cats with out notifying them. Sone tuners are based in states that don't have emissions so they Just shut them off. We have strict emissions laws in NJ so we deal with this daily. It's a real pain in the butt! Every vehicle we tune we leave the sensors ON. Unless they have the cats removed and if they have high flows we use the non foulers as I mentioned before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mwaite09

mwaite09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have the corsa cat back exhaust and AFE cold air intake but never touch the Catalytic converter. I returned the tune back to stock and will drive the 50-100 miles and try again

Thanks for all the info and I'll update next week.

BTW,I heard if I lived 30 minutes north in Clarksville TN, (different county) I wouldn't have to go through the smog check, not sure if that's true.

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Register your truck for a residence in the state of Michigan. Problem solved.

Or South Carolina! For a period of time in my younger twentys my mother was the Proud owner of 750 HP 9 Sec Saleen Mustang. She lives in Charleston and down there they have no inspection. The car had some wicked Cams, Headers No Cats and Dumps! It was like driving a Nascar around, needless to say I had to sell it because it wasn't much of a daily driver.

Attachments

• 12442_183334719311_511524311_2786054_43227_n.jpeg
    12442_183334719311_511524311_2786054_43227_n.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 64