Efan not turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahitiansoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually use the AC every time I use the Raptor, but today, I run it without it and the efans didn't run and the engine started to overheat, so I started the AC and the 2 efans came in. Is this a problem with temperature sensors or tuning? (JDM tuning). Thanks for help.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I almost never run the AC in my 2011 SCAB and I've never experienced what you have. Might it be possible that your thermostat needs replacement?

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I almost never run the AC in my 2011 SCAB and I've never experienced what you have. Might it be possible that your thermostat needs replacement?
Never run the a/c ? Must be nice!! Lol

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

I usually use the AC every time I use the Raptor, but today, I run it without it and the efans didn't run and the engine started to overheat, so I started the AC and the 2 efans came in. Is this a problem with temperature sensors or tuning? (JDM tuning). Thanks for help.
Seems odd they only come on when a/c is on, not sure what the cause is.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also do not run the AC or use defrost setting as this turns on the compressor even if it's set to 90 degrees.
I only use it if I need to melt Ice off the windshield or I can't take the heat any longer setting in traffic.

Stock fan settings turn on at 211-214 and turn off at 204-207
This supposedly gives the best fuel emissions.

When a AC is on, one fan will always run and increase speed and/or turn both on as needed.

I have my tuner set my fans to turn on at 175 with a 175 thermostat for max HP but running colder also deceases MPG by .5 to 1

Having said all that, sometimes a fresh flash back to stock and back to tune and a battery disconnect, will most likely solve the little hiccups.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tahitiansoul

tahitiansoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also do not run the AC or use defrost setting as this turns on the compressor even if it's set to 90 degrees.
I only use it if I need to melt Ice off the windshield or I can't take the heat any longer setting in traffic.

Stock fan settings turn on at 211-214 and turn off at 204-207
This supposedly gives the best fuel emissions.

When a AC is on, one fan will always run and increase speed and/or turn both on as needed.

I have my tuner set my fans to turn on at 175 with a 175 thermostat for max HP but running colder also deceases MPG by .5 to 1

Having said all that, sometimes a fresh flash back to stock and back to tune and a battery disconnect, will most likely solve the little hiccups.

This is odd. I also have a 175 thermostat. With the AC on the tune keeps the temperature to around 175, but without AC the fan kick on at around 210 and regulate temp close to 210. So it looks to be a tune issue, doesn't it?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's why I mentioned my tuner set the fans to 175.
If the fan setting is not changed it does not matter what thermostat you run.
We don't have a belt driven fan like older cars.

I know for a fact that JDM doesn't like to change the fan settings, especially for the Roush! and you haven't upgraded the oil pump gears.
I would contact them and stress that you live in a hot climate and need your settings changed, good luck.

Last edited:

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could be try the reflash and reset. Flash to back to factory settings, check if the Efans work avoiding over heating. Then flash the tune and hopefully that fixes your efan issue.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He's Supercharged and in a hot climate, without HE fans it will get hot quick.
Running the AC will help keep the engine temp from spiking but you loose 25 HP running the compressor.
And the AC condenser throws a hell of a lot of heat at the radiator so the fans are usually running high with both on.
A fan modification will solve the problem if JDM does it.

Otherwise a Tune from SVC which I know the Tuner will adjust the fan setting or try 5 Star.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tahitiansoul

tahitiansoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have contacted JDM, should have a reply soon. I will replace the oil pump gear soon. Already ordered and waiting at the forwarding company in LA.

BAD454SS

Banned
Reaction score
I Bypassed the stock fan controls totally in summer time here. I bought 2 Fan connectors with pigtails and wired my own 70 amp relays. They are wired to same switch for my intercooler fans and trans cooler fans. Sounds like a dam jet engine with 6 fans on full blast. I reconnect stock connectors and controls when it starts cooling down in november.