DTC codes p2196 and p2198

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had these two codes pop up this morning. Truck was idling weird last nite in park but drives and ideals fine now. Engine light is still on with both codes. These are o2 sensor codes stuck rich. Since both sides went at the same time I know it's something before the o2 sensors. Any ideas. Can't really afford for the mechanic to spend a lot of time on it if it might be something simple I can do. My thoughts are maf or PVC valve or vacumm leak. How do I check to see if they are working properly

Tim_Robison

Reaction score
Hey buddy, check your vacuum line for your EVAP control system. And then your gas filler cap. I’m having the same ordeal right now. If you haven’t already go to O’Reillys or get a scanner and scan all the codes. My left and right bank are running Rich P2198/ P2196. I’m getting these codes also.

Tim_Robison

Reaction score
I only think it’s my gas filler cap not completely ceiling because the engine pulls a vacuum on the gas tank and it figures out how many miles until empty or if the gas gauge doesn’t feel all the way up even when the gas tank is filled up I think this is the same problem I have