Driveshaft Upgrading!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, a little R&D with the Axle Exchange Driveshaft.

The Axle Exchange - Driveshaft Shop - NJ
Tel: 973-808-2800

axel_exchange_logo_final_color.jpg

Member Boris and I paid a visit to Axle-Exchange this morning.

IMG_20140515_090416_832.jpg

There was a little concern about the fitment with the yoke.
As it turns out the issue is because we are both on mid-perch and have upgraded are rear springs both of us.
it's pulling the yoke out of the end of the transmission.
Thus creating play between the yoke and the output shaft which in turn can create driveshaft clunk.

Mark the owner actually is surprised I'm not having issue already with my stock driveshaft,
it was not in all the way in the bushing of the transmission tail piece.
So new measurements have been taking and we will be getting the driveshafts lengthened by about 1" and 1/4" to 1' and 1/2'
I have the SD Nationals un arched with a 1 1/4 " spacer/bump stop plate between the springs and axle (so I'm at +3) and Boris has the Deavers +3
And we have two different measurements.

Now, every truck is going to be different so just make sure you give your suspension mods.
Better yet take your measurements, overall and how much the slip yoke sticks out from the transmission tail.

MetroNYC has his Whippled Raptor at KHC getting work done, as well as the Axel driveshaft,
I have called them to give a heads up and they will be talking to Mark at Axel-Exchange.
JDM has been informed as well.

So while I haven't heard anybody having issue after doing springs, it is something to consider!!!
And if your like me, I want my stuff to be right.

Axle-Exchange is a father and son operation and they own a Raptor.
They are very proud of their product and care very much that we are happy with their product.
They been doing driveshafts for a long time and know there stuff.

All their driveshaft's are balanced to 4000 rpm (driveshaft rotation)

Note: Axel-Exchange doesn't even carry the thin wall tube size that Ford is putting on our Raptors.

IMG_20140515_102022_776.jpg

IMG_20140515_102104_157.jpg

IMG_20140515_090416_832.jpg

IMG_20140515_102022_776.jpg

IMG_20140515_102104_157.jpg

Last edited:

Boris

Reaction score
For any members who are putting a supercharger or even a custom tune in their truck
I HIGHLY recommend getting this upgraded drive shaft
Many have all ready destroyed there stock ones with a simple burn out!
It’s a MAJOR weak link in the drive train
After seeing the (wall thickness and wieght) of a stock drive shaft to Axle exchanges Driveshaft you would clearly understand.
FYI
When I first purchased the driveshaft from axle exchange I didnt let them know I had custom springs ( Dever +3 )
When I went there and they saw that the fit wasnt correct, Mark decided to make a new one free of charge.
Thats says alot about there outfit

FarFromStock

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm trying to wrap my mind around all of this. I understand the benefit of a high-performance aftermarket driveshaft for our application. What I don't understand is the need for a shorter or longer driveshaft just for upgraded springs. Do the springs change the suspension travel limits beyond what the factory springs allow? Isn't the legnth of the driveshaft based on the suspension travel? If the shop builds you a longer driveshaft and the suspension compresses completely, would that not potentially create a situation where the slip yoke would travel too far into the transmission tailshaft housing? Assuming that total suspension travel limits remain unchanged.

Please don't take my questions as being critical. I'm just trying to understand the problem and solution.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if you have +2 anything it should be stock ride height and no change in any geometry.

only issue i would see is +3 and full droop

i agree its not adding up

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you doing the mid or top perch mod and getting rear springs that will rise the back to give you that rake look,
you are rising the whole truck 2 to 3 inches from stock.
This will increase the distance from the transmission and the yoke at the rear end.

Now, every truck is going to be different so just make sure you give your suspension mods.
Better yet take your measurements, overall and how much the slip yoke sticks out from the transmission tail.

Also don't forget you can't just make it longer without considering that we have 12" of rear suspension travel,
so if you make it too long you will be jamming the driveshaft in to the transmission.

I'm in the market for new springs, Deavers with the double military warp on the front bushing.
I actually what to lower the rear from what I have now I will have to call Deavers to find out what the ride heights are between +1, +2 and +3

Or just go through the 1000 post on the forum to get my answer. LOL

Last edited:

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you doing the mid or top perch mod and getting rear springs that will rise the back to give you that rake look,
you are rising the whole truck 2 to 3 inches from stock.
This will increase the distance from the transmission and the yoke at the rear end.

Also don't forget you can't just make it longer without considering that we have 12" of rear suspension travel,
so if you make it to long you will be jamming the driveshaft in to the transmission.

I'm in the market for new springs, Deavers with the double military warp on the front bushing.
I actually what to lower the rear from what I have now I will have to call Deavers to find out what the ride heights are between +1, +2 and +3

Or just go through the 1000 post on the forum to get my answer. LOL

+1 = 1" lower than stock height
+2 = stock height
+3 = 1" higher than stock

answered for you.

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Huck

Like I said in the first post I haven't heard anybody having issues with just aftermarket rear springs.

Since Axle Exchange owns a Raptor that still has stock springs they can compare what the driveshafts look like.
We are only talking an 1" in difference folks.
But it could be the difference of longevity or failure of your drivetrain.

Last edited: