Dreaded Engine knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DCSVT1

Reaction score
Last Monday it was in the single digits here and I started my truck to let it run for 5 minutes or so to warm up. Came back out to a loud knock...sounded like a diesel with that low chatter. Didn't think much of it other than cold and or bad gas. Over the next couple days it got more noticeable and then Thursday night the idle started to lope with the knock...not good. Friday it was the same so I called Ford and asked if I could come by and have them have a listen. On my way there...check engine light came on. Really not good. With the light on and it knocking they told me to come back first thing Monday morning and leave it with them. My little car MD tells me " P0305 - misfire cylinder #5" ...a little research on the web.... and I don't like what I'm seeing. I thought these trucks and the 6.2 were tough??!!! I got rid of my 02 F150 because I was worried about it developing problems with it getting close to 170k miles. This, I've had less than 6 months and it's got 31k on it and I possibly....I don't even want to say it. Is this common?? I don't race it, don't go off-road with it...it's just my daily driver and now???!!!!! I love it but am pretty pissed.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't panic just yet, it could be just a stuck injector, the coil has gone bad or shorting out.
Spark plug wires have gone bad, some times spark plugs go bad do to bad low octane gas.
These engine have been doing fine up in Alaska and Canada.
The PO305 code has been seen on this forum a handful of times and I don't recall any major repairs to fix it.

Keep us updated, good luck!

Last edited:

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything that is mass produced will have a small percentage of which that experience some sort of issue or failure. Doesn't make it any better when yours is the one though. Sounds like it's still under warranty?

6.2Canadian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't panic just yet, it could be just a stuck injector, the coil has gone bad or shorting out.
Spark plug wires have gone bad, some times spark plugs go bad do to bad low octane gas.
These engine have been doing fine up in Alaska and Canada.
The PO305 code has been seen on this forum a handful of times and I don't recall any major repairs to fix it.

Keep us updated, good luck!

Alaska and Canada ? We can't even put these big truck in our igloos garage it's so hot it just melts, and the mud up here is so frozen all year we can't even go mudding!!

Bahahaha you Americans are funny

As for the OP I've heard this being a melted plug as well

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last Monday it was in the single digits here and I started my truck to let it run for 5 minutes or so to warm up. Came back out to a loud knock...sounded like a diesel with that low chatter. Didn't think much of it other than cold and or bad gas. Over the next couple days it got more noticeable and then Thursday night the idle started to lope with the knock...not good. Friday it was the same so I called Ford and asked if I could come by and have them have a listen. On my way there...check engine light came on. Really not good. With the light on and it knocking they told me to come back first thing Monday morning and leave it with them. My little car MD tells me " P0305 - misfire cylinder #5"...

Hi DCSVT1,

I want to do some digging and see what I can do to help. What's your truck's model year/mileage? Any news from the dealer today?

Crystal

OP
OP
D

DCSVT1

Reaction score

Ya I saw that. It says to check the COP and that's not it...my 02 5.4 would loose one now and then, this is different. It's missing but the noise is something rattling around/broken. At the same time I hear the noise it skips. Then it goes on to say if it's not the COP to remove the valve cover and check the rocker. Then just go deeper....I haven't heard from Ford yet so assume they have started to take it apart...... but sure hope not.

Hi DCSVT1,

I want to do some digging and see what I can do to help. What's your truck's model year/mileage? Any news from the dealer today?

Crystal

It's a 2010 with 31k. It's still under warranty but still.... what really gets me is even though it's something under warranty they wouldn't give me a loaner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DCSVT1

Reaction score
UPDATE; I called and talked to a girl in service who talked to the technician and he says he needs to get under the valve cover and it won't be done today. So it is the valve train...or worse..... F-me! :(

OP
OP
D

DCSVT1

Reaction score
Got a call from the service manager, said it's definitely mechanical and they either need to rebuild or replace the motor...they are going to shoot for replace but will need to get approval from Ford HQ. It's going to take a few days to get approval for whichever and then another couple days to order the parts and a week to rebuild/replace the motor. Excellent. :mad: