DIY Fresh air / wanna-be snorkel setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stefanwerner

Reaction score
I came across a number of posts with folks making custom intake tubes extending back towards the SVT vent in the fender to prevent water ingestion. I did things a bit differently and thought I'd share the results:

4" to 3" coupler to prevent any cutting, this does create a tight seal:
raCWol3.jpg

Water relief cuts (there are a few more along bottom of the inlet tube):
wpllP5g.jpg

View from headlight area (90 degree elbow attached to coupler, hole cut through foam barrier for PVC pipe):
DWtVYTx.jpg

Water-resistant pre-filter (notice I've cut the 3" PVC at an angle near the vent for clearance):
mhJg1Y1.jpg

Inlet with pre-filter installed:
d7vGjdr.jpg

Final result:
VQw1MG2.jpg

OP
OP
S

stefanwerner

Reaction score
Now go swimming.

Oh I have..plenty of times :p

Had the fine privilege of replacing my radiator and fans Friday evening after dunking a few weeks ago and taking my radiator out in the process...apparently fast moving fan blades don't like water :specialed:

VyC5SCm.jpg

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sucks about the fans, good point though, wonder if one should just wire in a switch to turn off the fans when they know they're going in deep water? Then just turn them back on once out.

It's cool your posting mods, but I am curious on a few things:

1. I would think reducing to 3" would decrease overall airflow. Maybe it's not enough to really matter, but a 4" elbow would be better for flow and then a reducer upstream from that, but maybe it's space constraints. Did you notice any performance differences?
2. Approximately how much taller does this make your intake than stock?

OP
OP
S

stefanwerner

Reaction score
Sucks about the fans, good point though, wonder if one should just wire in a switch to turn off the fans when they know they're going in deep water? Then just turn them back on once out.

It's cool your posting mods, but I am curious on a few things:

1. I would think reducing to 3" would decrease overall airflow. Maybe it's not enough to really matter, but a 4" elbow would be better for flow and then a reducer upstream from that, but maybe it's space constraints. Did you notice any performance differences?
2. Approximately how much taller does this make your intake than stock?

I'm planning to wire a bypass to one of my aux switches - just haven't gotten that far yet :)

In regards to reducing from a 4" to a 3", the pipe coming out of the stock box is only 3", but it has a flared end which requires a 4" boot to fit over it.

Below is another member's picture where they've cut this pipe to accept a 3" coupler:
where-to-cut.jpg

I considered 4" piping, but given the airbox constraint and limited fender space I went with 3" (no noticeable performance/noise differences).

The intake is only about 6" above stock, however this location is much less exposed to splashes and dust. If you crouch in front of your truck and look up through the fender from under the headlight, you can see the stock intake location. By relocating to the SVT vent area & adding a water-resistant pre-filter, I believe the chances of dust and water entering the intake are greatly reduced. It's also important to note that I've cut water relief vents and there are also holes in the bottom of the stock airbox so this is not a true snorkel.

Thanks for your interest and comments!

-Stefan

Edit: words

OP
OP
S

stefanwerner

Reaction score
Update: Added another pre-filter..this time to my filter :p

Info:
86O0r0s.jpg

Installed on filter:
LVMhgNc.jpg

I did some splashing around this week but nothing major..will update once I've put it through more paces.

Edit: image url

Aussiesvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a stainless snorkel and air box built to limit dust and water ingress

Like we do back in aust.

_20-3-30_01_2014.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

Oh I have..plenty of times :p

Had the fine privilege of replacing my radiator and fans Friday evening after dunking a few weeks ago and taking my radiator out in the process...apparently fast moving fan blades don't like water :specialed:

VyC5SCm.jpg

Speed and water don't mix.
I've had my old truck up to the windscreen many times without issues.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you're moving fast, you want the intake in front of the tire if possible.
It'll be eating more dust by moving it rearward to that location.

OP
OP
S

stefanwerner

Reaction score
You should tape up your three PCM plugs, I can see the middle one the tape is already off the plug.

Good eye..many wraps later:

E8AblE4.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

When you're moving fast, you want the intake in front of the tire if possible.
It'll be eating more dust by moving it rearward to that location.

That is assuming nobody is in front of you and/or that there isn't a large amount of dust already kicked up where you're traveling..

Even with a clear path, I'm not convinced that the location I've relocated to would pick up any more dust as it's pretty well isolated from the wheel well/tire.

My larger concern is water splash so I'm confident the location I've chosen is right for my application.

-Stefan