Data Logging Air Intake Test Results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I spent the morning fooling around with the SCT X3 data logging feature by linking to my laptop on SCT Live Link gen II. My main purpose was to determine simply if the lid on the intake had any effect on the air flow rate and intake air temperature as compared to ambient temperature. I also added some additional parameters that we can discuss if anyone sees a reason to do so.

One interesting thing I found that when tuned, the ambient temperature readings were way off. I did these tests back to back to back, and according to my dash readout, the temperature on the third run with the 5 Star tune was about the same as the first 2 runs.

I performed these tests as controlled as possible, starting and ending at the same exact locations, and using cruise control for most of the time.

I started by Idling for 1 minute, and then pulled out and drove 1 mile at 35MPH with cruise control on. At the same point each time, I started the data log recording. At another point, I raised my speed to 40MPH. At any point I was controlling the throttle, I tried to remain as consistent as possible through each test which included a full throttle run starting at 35MPH to test max air flow.

*** IGNORE THE "VALUE" COLUMN, THAT IS JUST THE READOUT AT A CERTAIN POINT ON THE GRAPH WHERE MY MOUSE HAPPENED TO BE POINTING WHEN I TOOK THE SCREEN GRAB ***

STOCK TUNE AFE STAGE 2 WITH 5 STAR LID (AVG AIR INTAKE TEMP 48.74*F = 1.20*F ABOVE AMBIENT TEMP)
45005d1396719513-data-logging-air-intake-test-results-stk-tune-lid.jpg

STOCK TUNE AFE STAGE 2 NO LID (AVG AIR INTAKE TEMP 47.39*F = 0.33*F ABOVE AMBIENT TEMP)
45006d1396719513-data-logging-air-intake-test-results-stk-tune-no-lid.jpg

5 STAR 91 OCTANE TUNE FOR AFE INTAKE NO LID
45007d1396719513-data-logging-air-intake-test-results-intake-test-tune.jpg

stk-tune-with-lid.jpg
stk-tune-no-lid.jpg
intake-test-tune.jpg

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
You will notice the 5 Star Tune run resulted in a higher average RPM at the same speed due to the different shift points, but it lowered the total engine load by an average of 5%.

I think this also debunks the myth that running an air intake without a lid will draw "hot" air from under the hood. The run without the intake actually had a lower departure from ambient air temp as compared to running with the 5 Star lid.

The final difference I see is the +6 lb/min max air flow recorded on the full throttle run with the 5 star tune. I do not know whether the tune screws with those numbers, or if that was a true and accurate reading.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if the tuned results have anything to do with the learning process of the PCM. Can you run the tuned test again in a day or two to see if the data changes?

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I wonder if the tuned results have anything to do with the learning process of the PCM. Can you run the tuned test again in a day or two to see if the data changes?

I plan on doing that, yes. I'd first like to hear from 5 Star on whether or not the readouts are valid after tuning or if their adjustments skew the results.

I also plan to install the stock intake and see what we come up with. I'm not in any hurry though because the aFe is ovbiously drawing the coldest air possible being about equal to ambient temp. The only result that would be interesting is if the stock intake resulted in intake temps far greater than ambient temps. Then all the guys who say "The Raptor already has a cold air intake" can eat their words.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what Mike says. Me being a newb to hand held tuners so I'm trying to learn as much as possible about how these trucks react to changes in the programing. I'm using a tuner from Livernois that I had for an ecoBoost F150, reflashed the firmware so it now works on my Raptor, it's a MyCalibr8or by AIW. I don't believe it is capable of data logging though.

onesickpuppy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It will be interesting what Mike says. Not long ago we used to put a variable resistor in the air intake wiring so we could fool the PCM that the air was colder than it really is, this a bit of gain in air/fuel ratio.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
It will be interesting what Mike says. Not long ago we used to put a variable resistor in the air intake wiring so we could fool the PCM that the air was colder than it really is, this a bit of gain in air/fuel ratio.

That's what's weird, the air intake temp was actually higher, but the ambient air temp was reading much lower. The ambient temp shouldn't matter, the engine is calibrating based on air intake temp. It could have been the engine running hotter due to the higher RPMs, or because I went from 87 octane to 91 octane.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now, run your next test in city traffic with teh AC on/off and you will see that the hot air affects it. No says that a CAI is bad when running on the road after you have cleared the hot air from under the hood. Like I said many many times the CAI is affected in city traffic only where the underhood air never gets a chance to clear out. Once you are at a set speed the underhood air stabilizes.

Jay9722

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after reading every thread on air intakes for the 6.2 I'm left wondering if I should even bother with an AFE stage 2 with lid? I plan on adding a Corsa extreme exhaust eventually but dont really want to go with a tune. Is it a waste of money to add this intake without exhaust or tune? I'm happy with the performance of the stock truck and was only looking to get a throatier sound. Will the addition of just an intake hurt the performance? Sorry if these are redundant questions.