Coolant leak - lower radiator hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss379

Reaction score
Been smelling coolant for a few weeks but no obvious signs of a leak and the coolant level has been mostly stable. Had the dealer check it out and after a week and a half (actually only 2 test drives, but that is another story) they traced it to the lower radiator hose...which of course is not covered under the extended warranty (54k miles).

It is leaking very slowly right after the elbow coming off the radiator where the rubber hose starts (has a plastic band...will add a pic later).

I have a hard time coughing up $350 to replace a $100 hose so once I find my FSM disc and make sure it isn't too painful of a job I will dig in. Looks like pretty tight space to work in...can't even see exactly where it goes other than to the oil filter cooler. Anyone else with experience on replacing the lower hose?

Any better options than the OEM hose? I see silicone hose kits for 2010-2013 but not for the 2014. Any idea what changed for the 2014's?

Thanks in advance for any help!

- Joe

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Beware of silicone hoses. They have the earned reputation of allowing liquids to evaporate through them.