Can you make a raptor have 500+hp (Crank) naturally aspirated without cams?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed before but I've always been intrigued by the raptor r that ran in the Baja 1000 in 2009. I know that's a totally different animal than the normal raptor you usually see driving around but what can you do to get those big hp numbers without having to go with forced induction? I know if you add cams you have to change the rods, heads and what not and go with livernois but any other ways? Thanks, don't roast me too bad [emoji88]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you'll need cams to open the valves. Without cams the HP is less than 500, way less, LOL.

OP
OP
Aaron313

Aaron313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you'll need cams to open the valves. Without cams the HP is less than 500, way less, LOL.

If I'm not wrong a tune, full exhaust and cai should get you over 450 and maybe closer to 470 to the crank so nothing other than cams can get me those 30? [emoji20]

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm not wrong a tune, full exhaust and cai should get you over 450 and maybe closer to 470 to the crank so nothing other than cams can get me those 30? [emoji20]

I was actually making a joke, that you'll need cams, even if they are the factory cams. You know, to open the valves.

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the livernois cams. Didn't have to change the pistons.
Need to cut valve reliefs In the Pistons for the ford cams.
You have to get more air in and out some how. If not forced induction. You need bigger valves or more lift/duration.

OP
OP
Aaron313

Aaron313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks ARH1956 and boss! You said you used the livernois cams right? Did you remove them... and if yes, for what reasons?

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I still have them in. They perform and sound great. However the passenger side was machined wrong. The hole in the front of the cam that the nipple from the phaser goes into was about .005 too small. I put the whole thing back together drove about 20 miles and the cel came on. Code said phaser stuck. Completely destroyed the phaser. Used a carbide to wallow out the hole and replaced the phaser. All is well now. Disclaimer: I am not very fond of LMS. If you go that route do not use them to tune it.

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Full exhaust (Headers, highflow mid pipe, catback), Cold Air intake, and tune we have hit about 380 RWHP on the dyno. With Ford's Calculations of drivetrain loss being roughly 20% that is around 480 HP at the engine. It would only take some ported heads probably to get you there. However the cost or doing ported heads with labor almost starts to get out weighed by doing a Supercharger and making way more power!