Which CAI and Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

memheli

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking at doing my first two engine mods to my Raptor. Seems like the cold air intake and a tune are the first two logical steps. After that I might do something with the exhaust (remove the cat) since inspections aren't required where I live.
What are the tested best options for CAI?
Are some of the tunes hard on the truck or are they all safe for the engine and transmission? I have a friend that did a tune on his diesel 250 and it just seems to be brutal on the transmission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AFE cold air intake w/ cover

SCT 4 Tuner with 5* tunes

What I run. 5* is a tame or wild as you want and you can choose what octane you want to use. Obviously you can update tunes as you add mods such as headers/exhaust etc.

Good luck with your search. You will get a lot of feedback on this subject.....

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would recommend our Stage 1 Kit. This includes an SCT X4 tuner with our custom tune file and the Airaid intake kit. Very easy to install, adds about 40 HP, and I've been told countless times the driveability of our tunes are way better then the competition! Let us know if your intersted or have any questions. Call me for an FRF discount code if you want to order!

JimIII
732-780-0770

irkit_JDM_Engineering___95075.1401569619.1200.1200.jpg

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is a dyno graph of a customers truck, stock vs. JDM stage 1 kit with 87 octane. With 93 octane there is about 10 more HP in the higher RPM band. You can see gains of over 40 HP in the midrange which gives you more throttle response and seat of the pants gains!

Attachments

• redden.jpg
    redden.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 279

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking at doing my first two engine mods to my Raptor. Seems like the cold air intake and a tune are the first two logical steps. After that I might do something with the exhaust (remove the cat) since inspections aren't required where I live.
What are the tested best options for CAI?
Are some of the tunes hard on the truck or are they all safe for the engine and transmission? I have a friend that did a tune on his diesel 250 and it just seems to be brutal on the transmission.
CAI - do the research. Your truck already has one and there are no HP gains to be had here and they typically have off-road troubles.

Tune - I run a custom tune or 5Star. Both work well.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

Submit your photo for the calendar contest
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?t=44744

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Like others have said, the gains found from an aftermarket CAI are small, and with off-road use, many have found other issues with fitment and the intake staying together (a bad thing in a dusty environment). An exception to this would be in forced induction applications.

A good panel filter (we do not recommend oiled filters, such as K&N, especially in off-road use, as the oil catches a lot of dust, but is not able to filter out the super fine particulates, and once the oil is filled with dirt, the filtering efficiency goes way down). Stick with a good paper media, preferably one that has much larger pleats than OEM (larger the pleats, the larger the effective surface area is, and in turn easier air flow without loss of filtering capabilities).

The SVC Tune is one of the premier tunes you can get. Retains excellent smooth driveability for when the 'Mis is with you, but put the hammer down, and you'll open up a can whoop. Also retains all sensors and safety safe gaurds to prevent motor damage. Plenty of people here can vouch for this tune.

-Joseph Haynes

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can also vouch for the SVC tune. Super smooth shifts and feels like "the way the truck should have come" tuned. Agressive and all there when you need it but doesn't feel harsh or overboard. Really nice, I'd highly recommend it.

About the intake. I got a good deal on an S&B intake which I do like but have to agree with guys saying that the stock setup is a great setup. I like the looks of the S&B and it adds a little deep rumble to the sound...but agree that an intake won't increase performance. The stock intake is a cold air setup and is very secure for Offroad use.