GEN 1 Blown motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is much harder in the truck with the radiator in, unless your a little guy and can fit yourself in between with the right tools.
You just need to spend the $70 on a new gasket set for the timing cover as well as the gears set.

Might just ask them how much to bolt it on before they put in truck.

IamCanadian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch...Sorry about your misfortunes, hopefully the warranty gods look after you. I was wondering though, if the engine seized under that type of load would there be collateral damage in the tranny also?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, once the oil pump goes, complete engine failure is all that will happen.

Transmission failure is due to over heating and not changing the fluid, when you know damn well that you cooked the tranny. LOL
Same as the Power Steering pump, you beat on it, you need to take care of it!!!!

Just me, but I have already done a complete tranny flush at 15,000 miles and will do another at 31,000 to 35,000 next year.
Cost $575 at the dealer!

Rear end twice, I still have to do the front diff, probably same time as Tranny flush.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Listen, you should have them break down the engine.
But hears the catch 22, you may have to shell out the coin, because warranty does not cover break down if the inspector is saying it's something else.
And he is denying a claim.

Pay your guy the hour labor to take the timing cover off!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listen, you should have them break down the engine.
But hears the catch 22, you may have to shell out the coin, because warranty does not cover break down if the inspector is saying it's something else.
And he is denying a claim.

Pay your guy the hour labor to take the timing cover off!!!

I know my buddies at the dealer are on my side and are trying to sell the inspector on it. But if he comes back and tries to deny it I’ll def have them take the timing cover off

Last edited:
Reaction score
since this has come up again.. has anyone replaced the gears in their pump? or gears and pump all together?

I have looked up to do it and it seems like a huge pain in the ass.

I asked the dealer down the street and they said it would be $998 for the labor. I am still am within my 60k mile warranty but having them swap the pump with the livernois pump with the billet gears for $1500 (labor and pump) seems ok to me.

Reading on here it seems like it's a solid 10 hours of work. If it's not that huge a pain in the ass I can do it myself and save the $1k. FYSA if I have to pull the SC and everything else off the top then it's a solid no. I will let ford do it.

metronyc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil pump gears are a huge pain to do with or without the supercharger, this is a fair price I pay same 5 years ago.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nick0331,
The gears you are replacing ARE the oil pump. The gears, a gerotor design, work like a supercharger pushing the oil. Apparently they are not made of high quality alloy, but rather sintered metal. Perfectly adequate in normal to spirited driving. However heavy pedal/supercharged forced induction adds to the shock loads the pump gears experience and they may fail...

https://www.lmengines.com/mod-motor-oil-pump-failures/

The billet replacement gerotor gears should never fail, as they excede the strength of the original by many magnitudes....being solid metal rather than pressed powder..(sintered)...
Eddie

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Warranty only will be a rebuilt!!! With a one year warranty!

As far as I know they do not have any NEW 6.2L's left.
But rest assured a rebuilt 6.2L from Ford well be better than a new one sitting in a crate built a long time ago.

So far every rebuilt sent out has performed beyond expectations as far as Supercharged has gone.

There is a whole video on YouTube about Ford's rebuild program. Do a search!

They are still making 6.2Ls for Superduties. Should be able to get a new shortblock.