GEN 1 Blown motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks sorry man. Let me know how long it took dealer to find issue, get approval to repair and motor at dealer to work on minus your xmas parts.

Extra money is never fun when not planned but at least your buying so go fast bits vs a new motor on your dime.

OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about cams? With those and intake/exhaust you would be up over 500 at the crank / 400 at the rear.

I’d love some livernois cams and heads but anything I do to the motor is kinda on the DL and not too intrusive. Hence headers and trans pan. I did find a livernois oil pump with billet gears for $500, since motor ships dry mind as well bolt that on, seems simple...

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$500 is not bad for some cheap insurance from what I have read. I don't recall the best pump out but don't think you can go worn with their pump. Maybe see what pump JDM suggests as they know a lot as well.

OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks sorry man. Let me know how long it took dealer to find issue, get approval to repair and motor at dealer to work on minus your xmas parts.

Extra money is never fun when not planned but at least your buying so go fast bits vs a new motor on your dime.

Well once it was on the lift. (2 days) all they had to do was drop the oil pan and see the parts soup lol. Inspector was there yesterday from the ext warr company so once he submits his report and approved (today or Tuesday) then they can order a new motor. Prob a few days on that. So this is all going crazy fast considering. But I’ll keep you all posted.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make sure they focus on the oil pump failing, you may want to mention you have see and heard about this problem on the forum.
It will take literally seconds for the motor to seize up with no oil pressure under full load!!!!

Just incase you haven't read all about the oil pump gears: The gears are the Oil Pump
And are subjected to shock (leading to fatigue) every time you drive.

http://trianglespeedshop.com/parts-services/ makes them!
Livernois, JDM and other vendors are the ones to get them from!!!

There are other companies making a gear set but the TSS are tried and proving on this forum for our trucks!!!

The Upgraded Oil Pump gear set is a must, if you plan on driving it hard. Supercharged or NA.
I've heard way to many stories like this.
It's a matter of time when the stress fractures grow to the point of explosion.

Now there are some that believes a Tune will keep you safe from exploding Oil gears. All I can say is good luck!!!
I should say, some people that are willing to take that chance because a few haven't had a problem YET!!!!
Probably because they don't drive it hard and are mall crawlers.

I hope you can get warrantied, they will try to come up with all kinds of excuses that it's not a Ford problem.
Have kept up with your maintenance program? According to warranty rules. Because that will come up.
If you did your own oil changes, start digging up the receipts.

I hope there are able to spin the crank to get the transmission unbolted from the fly wheel.
I've heard it can take a better part of the day to air chisel everything off the crank.
But in your case it looks like it won't be a problem.
Engine and tranny does not come out in one piece on our trucks!!!
And lifting the cab off is the last resort!

And for your FYI they have to order a refurbished Complete or a Long Block, changing the gears will cost you,
but if they do it before putting the engine back or with the radiator, condenser not installed yet it, you will save some money!

If you have other questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure they focus on the oil pump failing, you may want to mention you have see and heard about this problem on the forum.
It will take literally seconds for the motor to seize up with no oil pressure under full load!!!!

Just incase you haven't read all about the oil pump gears: The gears are the Oil Pump
And are subjected to shock (leading to fatigue) every time you drive.

Parts & Services - Triangle Speed Shop makes them!
Livernois, JDM and other vendors are the ones to get them from!!!

There are other companies making a gear set but the TSS are tried and proving on this forum for our trucks!!!

The Upgraded Oil Pump gear set is a must, if you plan on driving it hard. Supercharged or NA.
I've heard way to many stories like this.
It's a matter of time when the stress fractures grow to the point of explosion.

Now there is someone that believes a Tune will keep you safe from exploding Oil gears. All I can say is good luck!!!
I should say, some people that are willing to take that chance because a few haven't had a problem YET!!!!
Probably because they don't drive it hard and are mall crawlers.

I hope you can get warrantied, they will try to come up with all kinds of excuses that it's not a Ford problem.
Have kept up with your maintenance program? According to warranty rules. Because that will come up.
If you did your own oil changes, start digging up the receipts.

I hope there are able to spin the crank to get the transmission unbolted from the fly wheel.
I've heard it can take a better part of the day to air chisel everything off the crank.
But in your case it looks like it won't be a problem.
Engine and tranny does not come out in one piece on our trucks!!!
And lifting the cab off is the last resort!

And for your FYI they have to order a refurbished Complete or a Long Block, changing the gears will cost you,
but if they do it before putting the engine back or with the radiator, condenser not installed yet it, you will save some money!

If you have other questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks for all the great info. I definitely beat on my truck so I think a livernois pump is the way to go. A good thing is the truck is not at a Ford dealer. It’s at the used dealer I purchased it from (I used to work there and still know everyone) so they are taking care of me. We are currently just waiting on the extended warranty inspector to submit his report . And I’ve talked to my service advisor about ordering a new, not rebuilt long block. Which he is ok with because it’s only about a $500 diff at this point. I have done all my own oil changes with Amsoil about every 8k, and had to submit about a years worth of receipts. They are willing to let me do any bolts on id like so I think the pump should be fairly simple since the motor is dry and will be in a crate. Also it doesn’t look like I’ll be doing Stainless Works headers just because of the lead time and short notice. Prob will have to take whatever’s in stock. Borla or Kooks at this point.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Warranty only will be a rebuilt!!! With a one year warranty!

As far as I know they do not have any NEW 6.2L's left.
But rest assured a rebuilt 6.2L from Ford well be better than a new one sitting in a crate built a long time ago.

So far every rebuilt sent out has performed beyond expectations as far as Supercharged has gone.

There is a whole video on YouTube about Ford's rebuild program. Do a search!

Last edited:
OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranty only will be a rebuilt!!!

As far as I know they do not have any NEW 6.2L's left.
But rest assured a rebuilt 6.2L from Ford well be better than a new one sitting in a crate built a long time ago.

So far every rebuilt sent out has performed beyond expectations as far as Supercharged has gone.

There is a whole video on YouTube about Ford's rebuild program. Do a search!

Yeah I’m sure I’ll get a lot more info on what’s out there as soon as we get the green light. I don’t mind a rebuilt as long as it’s done right and performs obviously.
Do you think I can bolt on the new pump before it goes in somewhat easily or is it a PITA and worth paying them a little to do it? Doesn’t look like many bolts and not worried about fluid.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm personally very happy with my Kooks headers and green cats. I wouldn't run any of the others.

Check with the forum vendors on pricing and availability. Tons of specials going on around the holidays. Maryland Speed is always running specials here.

Won't be hard at all to change the pump with the engine out. I'd just let the dealer do it.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is much harder in the truck with the radiator in, unless your a little guy and can fit yourself in between with the right tools.
You just need to spend the $70 on a new gasket set for the timing cover as well as the gears set.