The Best Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWATraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deciding what intake to get. Looks like K&N claims the highest hp gain of 20. What do you guys have/planning on your trucks and how do you like it?

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
this has been covered here many times. u can find some good reading if u search. most here will tell u get the 5 star AFE stage 2. thats what i got and i love it

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, that is what most would say. I'm different and I would say K&N. I'll do a full install write up soon. Just haven't had time. But I love mine. You can't go wrong with K&N quality.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am here to tell you that there is no single "best" intake...
- If you do a lot of mudding and water crossings, the best bet is to stick with the factory intake.
- If you want near-perfect filtration and a filter that will last 100,000 miles get the Volant.
- If you want a minimal restriction intake and aren't worried about water intrusion, the AIRAID, aFe, or K&N will do fine.

But DO NOT fool yourself into thinking that you will get a 20 hp gain or a 5 mpg increase. It doesn't happen. I argued with Hennessey about their extravagant claims for over 6 months on the "Z" forum, and all I got was non-answers, delays, excuses, and obfusction because they could not substantiate their hp claims. I was ready to buy and all I wanted to see was a dyno run that backed up their claims. They didn't have one and couldn't produce one.

I will tell you that AIRAID makes no preposterous claims. They make a fine product and they don't lie about it. I consulted with their quite knowledgable front desk until I was asking questions that only an engineer could answer, so they put one of their design engineers on the line to talk with me. I got straight answers to honest questions, and that tells me something about the character of the company. I don't do business with liars. I've had the AIRAID on the 6.2 for over 10,000 miles and I am very satisfied with it. It produces a little more intake honk than the factory intake - I enjoy intake honk on my truck and my motocycle - and it elminated the factory intake's hesitation at abrupt throttle inputs. I get between 15 and 15.5 mpg in town, and between 16.5 and 17 mpg on the road - not measurably different than with the factory intake. (The only fuel saving device applicable with a 6,000 pound high performance off-road 4x4 with a honking big and powerful engine is a mature right foot.)

If interested, you can read the full story of my experience with AIRAID here:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/airraid-installation-2011-6-2l-3085/

Last edited:

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend with a performance shop and a dyno. We were going to take each one of my mods by itself and see the difference from the stock baseline.

Everything was setup, but the Raptor is to wide to fit on his mustang Dyno.

Point is it would be cool to see real gains from baseline for popular mods not that is the reason for specific mods anyway.

I.e. intake, tune, exhaust. Which I have all three so being selfish

Air aid, 5 Star Magnaflow fatback

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fred, the industry tends to do dyno runs with the hood up. That's not real world, particularly when an open-top intake like the AIRAID, aFe, and K&N is involved! Gotta put the hood down or you're wasting your time.

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fred, the industry tends to do dyno runs with the hood up. That's not real world, particularly when an open-top intake like the AIRAID, aFe, and K&N is involved! Gotta put the hood down or you're wasting your time.

But hood down and no air flow that approximates driving conditions is simply another "not real world".