Another 5-Star Tune AFE Intake Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SterlingE55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFE Intake: I like the intake but the rubber boot that came with it was pretty weak and I ripped it so I replaced it with high quality silicon one as you can see in the pics. I like the sound after I have gotten accustomed to it. Overall I am quite pleased.
D-0DA0-4148-B16B-06218713B093-149-0000004AF389BEF4.jpg
B-6DC5-45FE-8AD6-50809E3E8C07-149-0000004AE2F4B403.jpg
0-E594-4B33-86B7-B182BA5B9D98-149-0000004AEE1F50AB.jpg

5-Star Tune: I've only really driven with the 93 Performance tune long enough to review it. Going on a road trip tomorrow and swapping to the 87 econ tune and I'll leave that in for a while to get a good judge of it. Throttle response is much better and overall driveability is better. I don't like how it seems to lock the converter under 10mph which seems to cause the rear diff to clunk with getting on throttle from coasting. Seems to be some slack in the rear diff. It also doesn't seem to like 40mph, where I spend a lot of time, and is always hunting for the right gear. After I try the 87 econ for a while I'll get a hold of Mike and talk about refining the tune for my driving style. Overall I am pleased and would definitely purchase again. Hope this helps let me know if you have any questions.
-Sterling

krww06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5-Star Tune: I've only really driven with the 93 Performance tune long enough to review it. Going on a road trip tomorrow and swapping to the 87 econ tune and I'll leave that in for a while to get a good judge of it. Throttle response is much better and overall driveability is better. I don't like how it seems to lock the converter under 10mph which seems to cause the rear diff to clunk with getting on throttle from coasting. Seems to be some slack in the rear diff. It also doesn't seem to like 40mph, where I spend a lot of time, and is always hunting for the right gear. After I try the 87 econ for a while I'll get a hold of Mike and talk about refining the tune for my driving style. Overall I am pleased and would definitely purchase again. Hope this helps let me know if you have any questions.
-Sterling

I agree 100% with you on the hunting for the right gear when driving between 35-40mph (at least w/ the performance tune), as that is where I do the majority of my driving as well. I thought the truck would eventually adapt to my driving style and "resolve" this issue, but as of yet, it hasn't. Regardless, I am still very pleased with the product and 5-Star.